10.16 design criticisms and marketing name isn’t Apple’s best (in my opinion)

Thanks but no thanks.

What’s with all the rounded rectangles and iOS styling?

Plus I can’t actually bring myself to use the marketing name they’ve come with for it. I’m already looking forward to June 2021 and we can start talking about something else.

1 Like

Good news. It’s called macOS 11

7 Likes

That’s hardly good news.

But presumably it’s only 11.0 when the ported to the Arm architecture?

1 Like

No. Big Sur is definietely for Intel.

1 Like

Hey, I’m ugly and I don’t have a good marketing name. But I still get the job done and deliver! :grinning:

16 Likes

I don’t see how products can have adjectives in the name, especially when the attribute noun means nothing to the final product.

Diet Coke makes sense. But they’d never use Fast Coke or Long Coke.

Somebody is Apple Marketing was asleep or on sick leave when this got through.

When downloading it shows at 10.16 beta, but shows up as macOS 11 once installed!

1 Like

I believe you don’t see it! A lot of people took issue with the grammar in “Think different” too (instead of Think Differently), which is akin to ‘Think… Big’ :wink: Friends in England couldn’t wrap their heads around ‘Mavericks’ and kept saying the singular form. But I always love a good rant…

2 Likes

They’ve already done “High Sierra“

1 Like

Somehow that just reads better like High-Sierra.

Regardless, I expect better.

It’s a matter of opinion of course, most are fine with it, you aren’t, fine. Though some things are just factual, like the name actually being macOS 11, and Apple having used an adjective in the past. (But don’t get me wrong, I still love a good rant.)

But just as meaningless to anyone outside California.

It’s also risky as any software issues such as those that have plagued Catalina to this day mean that 10.16 / 11.0 is referred to a Big Joke or Big Turd, or Big (insert your favourite pejorative here).

1 Like

Much more famous than Mavericks or Mojave.

6 Likes

I think we can discuss this without insulting each other!

And any of the names on that map would be better. Literally any one of them.

That is not true. Apple has traded on its California heritage (“Designed in California”) for many years. Moreover, I’m sure as tiny a minority hated the ‘Bondi Blue’ iMac (whose name came from Australia’s Bondi Beach) as today’s tiny minority (so far: you) who dislike the current naming scheme… which they started in 2013

I really don’t care if it’s a real location (although it is)

I still wanted them to call Mavericks ‘Snow Lion’.

At any rate, when Apple stops naming OS versions after California locations, I give it a 50-50 chance they call the last version ‘Cupertino’.

If they named OSes after timepieces would you get all frothed up about macOS Big Ben? :rofl:

1 Like

But in that case it’s a single, non-descriptive word. Anyone outside the US is going to spend the next year explaining it to say nothing of Apple Retail’s explanations.

Regardless, it’s a terrible name for a software product.

That’s a decidedly minority opinion, one disproven by recent naming history. :man_shrugging: You titled this thread with an opinion couched as a fact and have repeated it several times as if it somehow proves your point. But so far in this thread you have inaccurately claimed that the Intel version wasn’t macOS 11, and that Apple would “never” before use an adjective… when they did.

Apple has been naming Mac OSes for 7 years after California locations, knowing full well that around the world some people might momentarily need to understand the name. Not a particularly large hardship, that, and it reinforces the company’s California legacy, which is very much a selling point around the world.

Sorry you don’t like it but repeating over and over that “it’s terrible” doesn’t make it so, not does it necessarily convince anyone to join your minority opinion.

6 Likes

This forum is a self selecting group of people who love Apple and their products. I think this will be less of minority opinion outside of this community and globally.

1 Like

In that case thanks for the heads-up about the monstrous debacle. :+1:

2 Likes

No doubt we are. But I have worked with some very ordinary folks who use (or are forced to use) Macs at work. They do not care what macOS is called, at all. When the name actually does come up, some of them badly mispronounce the names (“Moh-jayve,” “Calina,” etc.) and still don’t care because they are just nonsense words to them.

The end result is their computers continue to work, and those of us who enjoy the macOS naming get to enjoy the references to animals and natural sites. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m more excited about moving to 11.0 than that 11.0 is named Big Sur. But Big Sur is fine.

1 Like