126: Productivity vs. Grinding

Tried this. Used send to Kindle to send a document to my Kindle Account, then downloaded it and Created 2 highlights and a note. Then tried to send that “notebook” via email to myself.

It appears to come as an attachment of type HTML but when I try to open or look at it I get an error message that “The operation couldn’t be completed”

Love listening to the show, but at times could you please tailor the conversations to those of us who may have regular jobs, where we are not completely in control of our own time. Sometimes you speak form a place that I cannot relate to, and I cannot be the only one who is not a free lancer. Meant as constructive criticism, listener feedback I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Enjoyed the discussion! Thanks for expanding on my comment. I like the nagging 5pm reminder idea.

Hey Oogie, the instructions for emailing non Amazon purchased ebooks are detailed below… you need to email it to add@readwise.io … One thing they didn’t make explicit though is that you also need to associate the email address you are sending the highlights from with your readwise account… you can do it by going to the “import highlights” page in readwise and then clicking on “import” button in “Email Import”… You should then be able to associate your from email address… Anyway, that worked for me and I import highlights from mobi, azw and pdfs from my kindle all the time

Import Highlights via Email

You can import highlights from various sources by emailing them as attachments to add@readwise.io.

Instructions

At the moment, we support the following sources:

Whenever you email a supported file above from an email address associated with your Readwise account, it’ll be automatically imported into your account.

Associated Email Addresses

Sadly I just tried this. When I open the non-Amazon kindle book in iPad OS never see the notebook icon at the top of the screen so this does not work. I never get the option to email or send the highlights anywhere. See the screen shot.

@OogieM how bizzare… Im able to export highlights from drm free mobi books on my iPhone kindle app.

Here’s a video demonstrating the export of an encyclopedia article that I sent to my kindle via push to kindle extension (which converts web page to mobi). As you can see it works.

Would you mind trying something for me?

Find any no DRM book in .mobi format from Gutenbooks or from Take Control books
Put it on your iPad for reading in the kindle app by adding to the kindle folder
Open the book for reading and make a highlight and a note

See if you can figure out how to export that in any format at all

I’ve got about 1400 books on my iPad at the moment. Of those about 400 are not from Amazon. I’ve tried with non-Amazon books from every source I’ve got. NONE of them have any options to allow me to export or email any annotations in the notebook. They all basically look like my screen shot above when I create and try to send the annotations. I can see the annotations both highlighhts and notes but I can’t DO anything with them.

It’s very frustrating because many other people seem to have options I do not and I can’t figure out why. I’m running kindle for ipad version 6.4.4 with iPadOS version14.6. My base mac is a 2013 iMac runnig Catalina 10.15.7 Books are always downloaded to my iMac first and then put n the ipad for reading and annotation.

PS to my message below. I create a screen capture but I can’t upload as the file type isn’t allowed. No clue why that is though.

I get a share extension here:

How did you get the book to your iPad?

I’ve only ever seen the share icon on books bought from Amazon directly, never on any other book I read in the kindle app.