16" Macbook Pro gets excessively hot when using external display

I could definitely do without the fan spinning up like crazy when I’m using Teams or Zoom, but not to eager to spend another $500+ on an eGPU and have yet another big box on my desk.

Besides, for normal office use (which video conferencing is, IMO) an expensive laptop like a MBP really should be enough.

1 Like

I’m only speculating, but I think the solution to this is to use the Intel GPU instead, which as far as I know Apple does not permit. That produces less heat and would likely mean that the fans don’t spin up as much.

When using it as a laptop I do not have the fan problem when doing videoconferences, I suspect due to the Intel GPU being used when it’s using the battery.

1 Like

Update: I took Apple to the Genius bar today about a problem with my Macbook spontaneously rebooting about every other day. I mentioned the overheating problem as well and pushed for a hardware replacement. The tech agreed , took my Macbook Pro , and said I will get repaired/replaced Macbook Pro in 5-10 days.

I was pretty happy since I had spent weeks trying to get Apple to do this for the overheating problem back when their stores were closed for quarantine.

I’ll have to wait to get a laptop back from Apple before I’ll know what they found out , what issues are resolved. In the meantime, I’m using my 2018 Mac Mini for my computing needs.

My 16" MBP started doing this back in April. In my case it was bad RAM and they replaced the logic board, which fixed the issue. Good luck with yours!

I’m having the same issue with My base model 16" MacBook Pro. It works fine when used portably, but the fans run constantly when connected to my DELL P2715Q.

Question: what are you all using to get temperature and fan speed readings? I have iStat Menus, but for some reason I’m not seeing comprehensive temp readings and I’m not seeing fan speed at all.

You can configure iStat to show you all, either inline or in a sub-menu. You will need to dig into the section settings to activate sensors to show. Pls see my screenshot below:

Right, that’s how I have it setup. See my screenshot below. I don’t have that full array of sensors.

try to hover your mouse over the sensors section and see what happens. If nothing open iStat and go to sensors section and look at “Edit Dropdown”:

Yes, everything is selected already. I think the issue is that I only have one available sensor. What’s up with that?

1 Like

You need to contact the developer for the updated version specific to these new MacBook Pros… still nothing for the new iMac as far as I know.

Can anyone please let me know if this issue with overheating on external display also occurs with the 2020 MB Pro 13" model as well? I have 16", returned it because of the overheating, and am considering purchasing the 13" now, but not sure if this issue is duplicated on this model too?

I can fully confirm !

New 2020 MB Pro 13" with two 4K LG UltraFine 24" when idle is getting 61-65C. Connected via one UsbC in tandem. It’s frustrating when working on a MacBook keyboard, it’s getting simply too hot just writing emails. I’m just thinking if external eGPU would’t fix it and stop heat so much.

Wow, thats insane. I would think the MBPro 13 wouldnt have the same issue since it doesnt have the AMD GPU additionally like the 16 does. I wonder why theres not many complaints for the 13" model online as much as there are for 16"? Do you recommend I just repurchase the 16" and hope this is something that Apple can solve in a future software update, or go with 13"? I am using a samsung ultra-wide monitor, not super high resolution, but 43" screen size.

I have this issue too, but I am using older 2015 MacBook Pro 15 inch with Radeon M370X. I am using LG 4K monitor connected using HDMI port on my Mac. When I am just browsing using Firefox, temperature will be around 67 C, but when I watch Youtube, it will raise even higher and my fan will raise to max 6000 rpm.

So this issue is still not resolved by Apple for 5 years?

1 Like

For whatever reason, complete a reminder (in Reminders or in Fantastical) exacerbates this problem and the fans go crazy. This problem seems silly and easily fixable to me, but what do I know.

Has anyone updated their 16" MBP to Big Sur and has it made any difference with the fans?

Problem is present on MacOS Big Sur as Sept 22nd, 2020. Given this is AMD drivers problem, I don’t expect this to be fixed just because Big Sur.

Interesting… I updated to the Big Sur beta a few weeks ago and I have not had this problem since.

1 Like

I’m having the same issues here with a MacBook Pro 15’’ 2017 and a Dell Monitor U2718Q. Tried everything already…

i’m having mb pros with external displays since ages including having all the issues about heat and fans

currently i have the following setup:

16" mb pro with two 34" and two (vertical staying) 27"

i tested everything extensively step-by-step

with closed lid and a hand full of open software fans are at 1900-2000rpm and cpu around 60… very quiet…

with open lid fans are going to 3000-3200rpm and cpu 62-65 and its getting loud…

today i will start testing with Turbo boost Switcher Pro and considering buying an eGpu because i really would like to use the mb display even though i have already 4 externals connected…

can anybody recommend an eGpu for the mb pro 16" ?

1 Like

I use the Black Magic Pro and it makes a huge improvement in performance across the board. I think the Pro is not manufactured anymore though, only the standard version. The dock and PSU mean only one cable is needed for all my setup, which rocks!