16" MacBook Pro is here!

Would love to get one, sadly clicking on buy presents:

1 Like

Looks exactly what I want to upgrade my very old 13 inch from… now I just have to figure out money stuff. Going to try to get my company to buy me one too :sunglasses:

I got a bunch of details here: https://512pixels.net/2019/11/apple-unveils-16-inch-macbook-pro/

6 Likes

Yay! Been waiting for this for a while. Ordered already, delivery 11/21-23.

5 Likes

âś“ Scissor Keyboard
✓ Inverted “T” arrow keys
âś“ Physical escape key

Still waiting on Mag-Safe. Oh well.

4 Likes

1 Like

Slightly amazed about the ESC key’s return. Apple finally listened.

5 Likes
2 Likes

People who like smaller laptops might want to wait until 2020 for the 13 (14?) inch versions. Personally my laptop rarely leaves my home but I don’t want an iMac so this is perfect for me.

2 Likes

Heh, the mac channel on the work slack is on fire… Apparently we’re spending some money next week :wink:
Unfortunately I got my machine in march, so I don’t get an escape button.

1 Like

My dreams and prayers have finally been answered! :100:

3 Likes

Since it is $100 to increase the video memory to 8GB, I’m contemplating this upgrade. Which programs would utilize the extra VRAM? I will be creating videos, though I rarely play games.

Scott

1 Like

You could probably remap ~/` so a tap is escape, and a hold is ` using Karabiner-elements.
I have CapsLock mapped to F18 if tapped, and Hyper if held.

2 Likes

Back to the Future! :slight_smile:

This is incredible!! I’d almost be like…

…except I have back issues. How long until they release a comparable 14" MBP with a proper keyboard?

2 Likes

You could eat a sandwich while working at the keyboard :slight_smile:

More seriously, the karabina elements trick works well. I have it running on 7 year old machine (there was no way I was going to buy a replacement while THAT keyboard was the only option) in my case I have the caps lock as a superkey (a lot easier than press on ctrl alt and shift simultaneously) if I want to use the caps lock as it was intended then I use shift caps lock to turn it on and off.

1 Like

FYI. I had to go to Best Buy today and to my surprise, they had the new 16" MBP there. They said they got them yesterday. So you can see it in another place outside an Apple store.

I have to say, it is impressive. The keyboard travel is just like my old 2012 MBP. The sound is impressive (but oddly, I expected even more due to people going nuts about it). The screen definitely feels larger due to the smaller bezel but also probably due to the increased resolution.

My current laptop is all beat up but this new laptop definitely feels like it’s a big step forward than the last few years have been.

1 Like

I went to my local Apple store today, and tried the keyboard on the 16”. Bliss! I can’t wait until they release the 13/14” version - hopefully before my 2013 rMBP 15” dies!

Wondering if this is the first Apple laptop that isn’t thinner and lighter than the previous model.

1 Like

Same here, great that they gave up on that. Makes me wonder if Jony Ive leaving was the best thing that could have happened :slight_smile:.

4 Likes