16"MBP: Any reason not to buy from Amazon?

Would love the hive-mind help:

I was planning on buying the 16" MacBook Pro from Apple on Black Friday and give it a true two-week test run. Would I love it a lot more than my 13"MBP, or would I hate the weight?

I’m now hearing there will be no “gift card” options for the 16" at Apple. But Amazon has it for $200 off right now. I’m nervous buying from a 3rd party if I may be relying on the 2 week trial.

Any experience anyone can share?

Quoting https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201819200:

Computers and Electronics

• New desktop, laptops, or tablets (excluding Kindle E-readers and Fires) purchased from Amazon.com that didn’t start when they arrived, arrived in damaged condition, or is still in an unopened box can be returned for a full refund within 30 days of purchase.
  • Amazon.com may test computers that are returned because they didn’t start when they arrived and impose a customer fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product.
  • Any returned desktop, laptop or tablet that is damaged through customer misuse, is missing parts, or is in unsellable condition due to customer tampering may result in the customer being charged a higher restocking fee based on the condition of the product.
  • New, used, and refurbished products purchased from Marketplace vendors are subject to the returns policy of the individual vendor.

Does not appear that you can return any laptop to Amazon unless it is DOA or unopened without risking a 15% restocking fee.

I don’t know why Apple wouldn’t honor gift cards at their store. I’d contact Apple can ask them first-hand if that’s true.

Find a reseller and ask if they can match the offer.

TJ - thanks, very helpful. To be clear, I meant that they will not be offering gift cards with purchase, their version of a “discount” on the 16" models.

Diane - there is an authorized apple reseller near my office. I guess I can ask them if they have the same return policy as apple!

Depends where you’re based Rich.

Apple have a habit of replacing items with issues in the EU under EU law, but only if you bought them directly from Apple. Other retailers are not as generous.

You can only get the base configuration. If you need more ram or disk then you’re out of luck.

Any reason not to buy from Amazon? Upon reading the headline I thought it was about this: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/11/amazon-warehouse-reports-show-worker-injuries/602530/

If you want a simple and easy trial option buy from Apple.

Earlier this year Apple made a deal with Amazon to kick out all 3rd-party sellers of Apple gear, so buying the MBP is directly from Amazon. And if you have (or get) Amazon’s Chase-based rewards VISA card, all purchases made at Amazon yield 5% back in store credit (appearing in your account within a month).

Depending on where you live if you buy from some authorized sellers they won’t charge tax (although legally you’d be expected to pay it yourself.) B&H won’t charge sales tax, but if you’re in a state that requires them to collect it they created a store card called Payboo which effectively gives you a discount equivalent to the tax you’d pay. (Just be sure to pay it all off, or you’ll be subject to high rates.)

I took everyone’s advice and just bought right from Apple. $200 be damned. I’m writing on it now at Starbucks. It feels like I set an iMac up at the coffeeshop. Damn, this thing is big. It’s bulkier, heavier, takes up more room on the table. But damn, this screen…
:grinning:

4 Likes

May you have a long and happy life together!

1 Like

Too late for you now, but maybe this will help someone else…

B&H looks to have a decent return policy and they carry a crap ton more configurations as “standard” than Apple does. Maxed out $6,000 MacBook Pro? Check.

1 Like