1Password.....to subscribe or not to subscribe?

I was looking at moving more to Keychain, but unless I’m missing something, accessing passwords from Keychain in Safari on the Mac doesn’t require authorisation still (assuming you’re logged in). This isn’t good enough security for me for banking items, so I’ll keep 1Password for that. This is a bit disappointing, as the iPhone asks for TouchID every time I think.

Under those conditions, I think a subscription is not a good investment for me (though I’m happy about paying the one-off cost for Pro).

I was a happy Lastpass user for many years (which has a functional free version) and bought into the 1Password hype and purchased it a month or so ago.

In all honestly, besides the more attractive UI there is no much difference in functionality. I should have stuck with Lastpass and spent the money someplace else.

If you use Eero routers / Eero plus comes with a 1Password subscription

1 Like

Satisfied user of purchased version (6.8.9, family license used by my wife and me).

I briefly tested the v7 subscription model but there was not a big difference in functionality. There is no compelling reason to pay $60/year for the family subscription when the purchased version works well for now.

I use the Eero mesh router system for my home network. Subscribing to the Eero Plus service would include a 1Password subscription for 5 users, in addition to the Eero Plus security features, for $99/year. If future upgrades to 1Password indicate a compelling reason to switch to the new version, I will probably subscribe to Eero Plus in order to access the 1Password subscription.

Subscriber here. For several years I was not crazy about subscription for software. But overntime I realized that if I want to keep using world class software I need to support that effort. Paying $20 or $30 or $40 one time just isn’t enough if I want the software to be there “forever”. So i have become a lot more willing to pay a subscription for software that I use a lot and depend on. (as long as the subscription rates aren’t rip offs :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can configure this, I believe, by turning off “Lock on exit”, then you can twiddle with the auto-lockout timer.

I mean that I like it locking on exit on the phone as TouchID is so good :+1:
I would like Keychain on the Mac to be locked too, but it’s not possible afaik.

The behaviour I want is:

• Go to website
  • Tap/click on username field
  • TouchID to verify
  • Password gets filled in

1P allows this and Keychain does on iOS, but not on Mac.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Personally I have lock on exit turned off and the timer set to 2 minutes.

I’ve been a 1P user for many years. I finally decided to subscribe after finding that only the subscription version would accept large attachment sizes: the limit for local vaults is 5Mb, but 1Password.com subscription accounts allow you to attach a document up to 2Gb in size.

Given their having an outstanding product, and the usefulness for me of keeping the occasional larger-than-5Mb attachment, I switched a year ago and have not regretted it.

1 Like

I’ve been a 1Password user ever since I bought the iOS app at a discount 5-6 years ago.
According to 1Password support, it’s still possible to buy a stand-alone license for 1Password - on all platforms, through the app.

1Password is one of the few apps I think warrant a subscription. Providing continued support and patches for security issues is necessary for a password app. My family and I been happy subscribers since they offered a family membership.

That said, if you don’t share the subscription with family/friends, the stand alone client works. Also if you have concerns about uploading your encrypted database to Agiles service, you’ll want to avoid the subscription service. Alternately you can use Enpass. It’s free for the desktop and $9.99 for mobile, but allows you to sync using your own service.

1 Like

The family plan subscription made sense for us. Then signed up for Eero Plus which includes a subscription. AgileBits was quite accommodating in changing my subscription over. The Eero Plus was a great deal for us.

1 Like

It would be nice if Agilebits offered a good incentive deal for long-time owners to switch to the subscription. I just continued with my licensed version. K Then, when V7 was about to come out, and then signed up on the family plan.

I’m not opposed to subscriptions as long as I think I’m getting a fair deal. I was a Lightroom user from the beginning, but I refused Adobe’s subscription as a bad deal.

1 Like

I’m not anti-subscription; I subscribe to a number of apps that I use daily, and that are critical to my workflow, and that I want to see developed further. My problem with utilities I love, like 1Password and Text Expander, is feature bloating. I just need something to keep my passwords in, and something to expand text snippets. Both these apps now pack in features I will never use, and cost more than I can justify. I subscribe to Text Expander for now, but not 1Password, and I’m looking for alternatives for both.

Earlier this year I needed a place to stash a protected pdf and instead of trying to protect it (pdf password security can be broken) or put it into a password-protected zip file (and then have trouble getting to it on iOS) I remembered that 1Password allowed attachments. Brilliant!

Then 1P wouldn’t accept the file, and I learned that the limit for local vaults in the purchased app is 5Mb, but 1Password.com subscription accounts allow you to attach a document up to 2Gb in size. Fair enough.

Since I’d been a happy, longtime user of 1P and never felt pressured to get a subscription, I saw this added value as sufficient reason for me to switch to a subscription. Given that Apple takes a 30% cut (for the 1st year, 15% after), I feel they’re receiving fair payment for their continued development of a product that’s worked near-flawlessly for me for years and has protected me and given me piece of mind.

Unlike the OP I am not “so anti subscription model”.

I’m all for subscription pricing, for a number of reasons. For devs, there’s no longer any need to hold off on update features on the old sales model (where they’re stockpiling new features so as to sell upgrades). This cannot be underscored more strongly - I can’t tell you how many devs I’ve spoken with over the years who held back on releasing feature updates because they were banking them to make appealing the sale of the next upgrade. With subscriptions devs can roll out updates to users regularly and add support new standards and features outside of the confines of a standard product cycle, and by doing so they’ll know they’re bringing all their users with them (which also reduces support costs otherwise spent on old versions).

The subscription model can fund more r&d with a predictable and constant revenue stream. And that revenue stream can grow as pirates start to buy subscriptions: in areas like Poland where piracy is historically extremely high, Adobe has found that the percentage of Creative Cloud subscribers is significantly higher than average. Why? Because offering a monthly plan makes it easier for individuals to legally use products that they may have not been able to afford with an up-front perpetual license.

Ultimately for devs successful subscriptions result in a steadier, less volatile income stream so they can better plan projects and updates while having a good idea of what can be budgeted based on predicted income streams. And ultimately that’s all good for customers, who get more regular updates/bugfixes of their apps, and less of a chance the dev will stop supporting the app.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with monthly fees. We don’t bat an eye when we write checks for cable TV, Internet, phone, gas, electric, magazines, mortgage, MMORPGs, and so on. We don’t even object to paying monthly fees for digital services. Netflix, after all, has 44 million people worldwide paying monthly, and Spotify/Apple_Music have 100+ million subscribers between them. And there’s still room for more, with everything from Audible to Setapp to Texture, all of which are actually gaining in popularity.

Obviously subscription fatigue can set in, and that’s where (popular) products like Setapp come in, essentially offering one-stop, all-you-can-eat app subscriptions. It’s anything but short-sighted - it’s a way to go forward with quality apps that makes continued development sustainable when it otherwise might not.

6 Likes

For those who are strongly opposed to subscriptions, I just wanted to say that Agile doesn’t make this extremely well-known, but you can purchase 1Password 7 as a standalone subscription.

See https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/05/22/1password-7-for-mac-the-best-ever/

and https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/91272/1password-7-license

for more details.

TJ (who is a happy 1Password subscriber, and former 1Password employee)

1 Like

When it comes to subscriptions, I can’t think of one more important than the one for my password manager. Its also my most used app since I need it to login to everything.

I never understood the whole angry mob against 1Password going to subscription when the app is so important to my life.

2 Likes

Been a 1Password user since version 2. The price subscription made sense for me since buying for two people including the iOS app is more expensive. Plus, for me 1P is more than just a password manager. I have all my important details inside it. Since I signed up for the early bird promo, I got discounted annual rate, 7 users and bigger storage.

For me, subscription makes sense on some apps. Also, subscription makes it cheaper. Not all of us lives in the US or UK where most of these apps are priced for those market. Being able to pay for software in small amount, or even letting us use it for a month makes it a whole lot of cheaper for me.

I’m on the latest edition, with a non-subscription license. I don’t necessarily dislike subscription software (I’m a very happy Adobe customer, for one instance), but I didn’t see any benefit to me in subscribing.

This is what I did. I had been using 1Password 7 on iOS for a while, and there was just enough there in the macOS update that I bought a new license. While 1Password is essential for me, I don’t need the convenience aspects of the subscription and while I want to support it financially, I think subscriptions can tend to result in feature bloat as the dev may feel they have to be doing something to justify the ongoing investment. In the end, depending on how you use it, a license may end up costing more or less; if they moved to annual updates like clockwork, then the subscription begins to look a lot more appealing.