1Password unethical marketing

Can I start calling them 2Password? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This I can get behind. Them making V7 - which you presumably paid for as a standalone license, under the premise that it would sync between your devices via Dropbox / iCloud / whatever - not work unless you buy a subscription isn’t cool at all.

1 Like

Can you clarify this please?

Will 1Password 8 support Dropbox sync?

Do I need to use a password they assign to access 1Password 8 routinely or can I still use my own password on my local computer?

Or does this new password only apply if for some reason I want to access my 1Password data via the web from a different computer?

1PW 8 doesn’t support local vaults anymore at all. And Dropbox sync only applies to local vaults. So no, no more Dropbox sync.

The fancy secondary password is only used for setting up a new device, or for accessing it from the web. Once a device is set up, you use your single password as normal.

But if (for example) you’re using a single Mac, it goes kablooey, and you for some reason don’t have or can’t put your hands on your 1PW-assigned key, your data is gone. It used to be enough to have a backup of your local vault, and have your master password memorized. Now you’d need the 1PW key.

1 Like

To clarify: The standalone app on my iPad says it is syncing I have to check if it really does, because the Android app I also use on the phone is no longer syncing with Dropbox vault.

The 1PW safari EXTENSION is the one that does not work and gives the message I need an account. Up to a little while ago, when I went to hover over a username or password cell in a webpage, it asked if I wanted to use the 1PW app, which I managed with the Touch ID.

So, in conclusion it is the “NEW” extension which is locked and asks for an account, and now 1PW on my iPad no longer serves its purpose. It works as before in Chrome though, because I have not installed the extension.

But since everyone was praising the new extension feature on Safari in iPadOS 15 and since no warning was given by Agile, I tried it out, and HIT AND SUNK.

I installed the iOS15 safari extension before upgrading to 1P8 on the Mac and it worked perfectly with cloud sync I presume your talking about syncing with Dropbox?

The Beta 8 does not I think cause any changes to the sync systems so this may be another problem perhaps with Safari security settings?

What it doesńt do for me is unlocking and the message is the one I posted before, basically that local vaults are no longer supported and I need a 1PW account, which I dońt have and maybe you do/did at the time so it worked for you.

My whole point is that I have been misconstrued into a subscription “option” which nobody from Agile informed me adequately.

1 Like

If you turn off the extension you will get the prompt to use a password stored in 1PW or iCloud the same as before.

5 Likes

Especially at such a reasonable price.

I may be misunderstanding what you’ve said. I think you have 1password 7 still on your devices, but you’ve installed the new Safari extension which requires 1password’s cloud sync.

I don’t think you’ve been subscribed to anything. just that the extension doesn’t work with local vaults.

This isn’t great as it removes some key functionality from the product, but I don’t think you’ve been charged for anything new.;

3 Likes

It does sound that 1P is botching its move pretty incredibly.

Allowing a user to download a promoted extension that then causes the product to fail… still not unethical in my book, but, wow, what a mess.

I remember when the move to using their cloud happened and the options were so confusing I ended up having 2 copies of all my passwords. As others have said, I am clearly not their target customer now, so it’s time for me to stop fighting. I’ll be trying keychain, personally.

1 Like

I suspect part of the issue is that local vault customers are such a small proportion of their userbase that they just get forgotten, or at least not taken into account with changes like this. One of the hazards of no longer being in a software company’s target market.

3 Likes

Support clarified for me that:

The local data that is stored on each device remains encrypted regardless of connection to the internet, and so it’s completely safe as this still requires unlocking 1Password. That in turn requires entering your account password (Master Password), or biometric unlock.

[This offline cache does not expire.] There is no limit as you should be able to access that locally stored data regardless of duration.

[As for phoning home,] your 1Password data is updated and ‘syncs’ every time you unlock 1Password while connected to the internet. However, this isn’t necessarily required and you should be able to continue accessing offline data, albeit not updated data, by unlocking 1Password while offline.

3 Likes

If syncing is the only thing that stops working if AgileBits vanishes in the Great Toronto Street Food Fair Mass Coronary Cataclysm of 2023 then that’s a pretty good failure mode for the app.

3 Likes

Thanks

Does that mean with 1Password8 no matter how dililgent I am with backups of data, if somehow Agilebits gets hacked or becomes a ransomeware victim, it is possible that I would lose my entire vault? Is there any way to save a local copy of your vault data with 1Password8?

With 1PW8 you have a local sync store, but “the truth is in the cloud”. If - hypothetically - the 1PW side of the sync were to get corrupted, I’m sure your side would get a helpfully-synced copy of the corrupted data.

Keeping a “safe” local copy would mean exporting the data in whatever export format, and it’s unencrypted at that point - so you’d need to do something to protect it.

1 Like

If they do in fact implement a self-hosted option that might mitigate a lot of these concerns.

It may well. Although it begins to be a Rube Goldberg sort of solution at some point. I mean…making people run their own sync server to get a “local” solution seems much more complicated than just allowing the old-school local vaults.

It’ll be interesting if they do it, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The safari extension is bundled with 1P 7 and can coexist with 8 which is just a beta at present. Not sure given that it’s in the 1P bundle why a new extension was or would need to be downloaded at all?

I don’t think AgileBits are messing up the roll out, ruffling a few feathers by changing their business model yes but it’s not as if anyone is forced to use their product is it.

I just don’t see the point of complaining the time and effort would surely be better spent seeking an alternative. If your happy stay if not move on which applies to almost everything in life.

3 Likes

Because keeping up with browser changes and security threats is an endless job. That’s why I prefer not to use browser extensions.

1 Like