2016 MBP to Dell 2715Q Monitor

I am going to transition to my first ever external monitor. There is a plethora of conflicting information on the web about on how to best connect a 2016 MBP 13" to a Dell 2715Q monitor. Any real-world help would be appreciated as would any input from anyone that believes that I’m making a mistake with my monitor choice.

Thanks!

I have the 24" version (P2415Q) attached to my 2017 iMac as a second (and third) display. I just used a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.

The only thing I’d say about your choice of monitor is that some people find the pixels on 27" 4K displays big enough that they’re not quite “retina” quality. That’s why I went with the 24" 4K option.

Great information Chris, much appreciated! If Amazon, is there a brand of cable that you like?

Just saw the link - THANKS!

The one I linked to is what I’m using. No problems so far.

I have installed a bunch of them, no problem!

If it doesn’t’ come with the right cable, you can buy a USB C to HDMI cable so you don’t have to mess with an adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Thunderbolt-compatible-MacBook-Chromebook/dp/B06XDMKQKJ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=electronics&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1534263278&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=usb+to+hdmi+cable&refinements=p_85:2470955011&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=macexper-20&linkId=1022631bf44aaa7ba550978924228a73&language=en_US

My understanding is that you can’t get 60hz refresh rates over HDMI (unless you use an external adapter that supports HDMI 2.0). That’s why I went with a DisplayPort connection.

1 Like

I’ve had a 27" Dell 2715Q in my home office for years. It sits beside my 5K iMac in portrait mode. I’ve been very happy of it; it feels solid and it’s a good quality display.

I also recently purchased a 27" Dell U2718Q to use in my co-working space. I considered getting another Dell 2715Q (which was about $150 cheaper here in Canada), but decided to spring for the newer model. Which looks and feels a bit more modern (including a smaller bezel), supports HDMI 2.0, and has a better hub setup.

Either way, you’ll definitely want to get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. I tried using HDMI and only got 30Hz when using the Apple adapter. Scrolling on a 30Hz display is not a great experience.

Bonus Tip: consider calling Dell directly and speaking to someone in their business team. You may find you save some money and get the monitor a little more quickly.

I hope this helps. Let me now if you have any other questions.

1 Like

Thank you all for the valuable information. I tried to look at the 24 and the 27 inch today but couldn’t find them on display at any of the local places. I will let the group know which I decide on and also my level of satisfaction.

1 Like

Update:

I purchased the 2415Q and I’m happy that I did for two reasons. The first is desk space, I could have fit the 27 but the 24 just fits better. Secondly, and more importantly, the 24" screen, when used as a second screen with my 13" MBP, is shockingly larger and takes some getting used to. The MBP screen certainly is useful but is handling secondary items to the 2415Q. I used USB-C to Display Port cable as recommended by ChrisUpchurch.

I’m using a Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad.

Thank you to everyone that helped with my decision.

2 Likes