499: Backups and Updates

Do you know the 3-2-1 rule?

3 Likes

I will after tomorrow. Iā€™ve been waiting for this episode for a week. Iā€™m in need of a new plan because my Crashplan option is going away in a month.

2 Likes

Yes, and now youā€™re making me hungry.

3 Likes

1 additional tip for the upgrade to Catalina:
download the Mojave installer and keep it somewhere safe.

4 Likes

Good episode. A couple of thoughts:

1. I became obsessive about backups when I experienced the Zip disk click of death and lost a lot of important files.
  2. I have Omnifocus tasks that repeat every three years for all of my backup hard drives. Thatā€™s when I buy new ones and retire the old ones.
  3. Every external hard drive I own has two labels, one for what it is (e.g. iMac clone) and the date it went into service. When I retire the drive, I put a new label over the old date that gives the retirement date.
  4. I have a repeating OF task reminding me to attach the clone drive to my wifeā€™s MacBook Air every few weeks. Carbon Copy Cloner takes care of the clone when it sees the attached drive.
5 Likes

I recommend Time Machine and Backblaze all the time for people who need/want a simple reliable backup system.

However, for those that need to backup external drives, network attached storage, etc. and keep everything, I recommend Arqbackup. If you choose, every version of every file remains in your backup forever. Even if that file is on a drive that hasnā€™t been attached to your Mac in years.

https://www.arqbackup.com/features/

How do you guys deal with ā€œretiredā€ HDDs used on Time Machine Backups?

Is there a way to move the ā€œarchiveā€ to the new drive or do you just start a new TM backup on the new disk?

Apple describes the procedure here:

ding

4 Likes

My only complaint is that even when I have a TM backup, when it is time to use it the process never really goes smoothly.

David mentioned these 5TB Seagate drives a few times, but I didnā€™t see them in the show notes. I went to his Studio page and then followed the link to the current version of the drive that comes in a few colors:

Great episode!! I use iCloud and was thinking of going with a family plan for my wife and I, has anyone had issues with that? With the different accounts getting mixed up? Also does anyone back up there photos to a Seagate drive, just by doing it from the iPhone , not using a computer ?

Excellent episode. Time for me to stop relying on iCloud Drive for my ā€œbackupā€ (*cough*) and purchase Backblaze. Although, does anyone know of an alternative that does forever-lasting cloud backup? Backblaze only does 30 days - which is actually the same as Dropbox (which is why I ditched Backblaze - but iCloud Drive doesnā€™t keep file versions at all!)

Iā€™ve had no issues. The way it works is that you share the ā€˜space allocationā€™ on iCloudā€”i.e. if you purchase 200GB, then all the files/photos/backups in your family get stored in that allotment. It doesnā€™t (currently) allow you to merge photo libraries or share iCloud folders.

I think it was mentioned that ARQ cloud and Backblaze both cost ~$6 per month, the limitation of ARQ being that it only allows 1TB, and BackBlaze gives unlimited space. However, I just looked on the ARQ website, and it says it allows ā€˜unlimited computersā€™ within that 1TB limit (each further TB costs another $5.99). So could it work out cheaper for some people with lower data requirements, or do you hit the 1TB cap pretty quickly?

I backup using Arq to B2 which is Backblaze but for business (I think thatā€™s what itā€™s for). It allows more then 1TB to backup.

Interesting. I have two macs, and I could possibly even squeeze my moms in without her knowing it - sheā€™s horrible about security, backups, password and all sorts of sane things humans should do.

Check out Arq Cloud Backup

Iā€™ m not really feeling a burning desire to upgrade to Catalina. Iā€™ll probably wait a couple of weeks, if not months (unless a Catalyst app that I absolutely need comes out).

iPadOS 13, on the other hand, is going to be a day 1 upgrade for me. It should solve a couple of real pain points for me and itā€™s taken all my willpower not to install the beta. No way Iā€™m going to be able to hold out after the release. :wink:

1 Like

The Backblaze newsletter today had a link that talked about backups and the 3-2-1 rule.
Here is the link.

1 Like