515: Stephen Takes One for the Team

Ah, good to know. All roads lead to Evernote, don’t they?

2 Likes

“Evernote is the worst ‘everything bucket’ app, except for all the oth­ers.”

— Winston Churchill

10 Likes

Unfortunately, there are few roads out of Evernote. Exporting my data out of the system back to simple folders and files was an experience I would never wish upon my worst enemy.

Now, I’m a folders and text files person. PDFs if I absolutely need to, and avoid as much proprietary software as I can - with a few exceptions, like the Omni group.

2 Likes

Wow, I never thought to try this! Holding a volume button to record video is so useful, too. Thank you; thank you.

2 Likes

AndI didn’t know about the video trick (though, to be fair, I never take videos).

The annoying thing is that on my Xr the power button is directly on the other side, meaning I could accidentally turn off the screen or invoke Siri when trying to snap a photo.

None of which require a $9,000+ computer. To each their own, but this is even more ridiculous than @MacSparky telling he needed a 16" MBP to do some business during a famility trip. Actually, I find this quite appalling. And it’s a (main) reason to stop listening to Mac Power Users (apart from the bad advice that’s been given lately… A Mac Mini as a replacement for a NAS? Come on!).

You do have a point. I welcome others success and am happy for Stephen and David. They are obviously doing well

However remember what made the podcast successful. Humble advice from the perspective of an average user. Even a hint of hubris would be a mistake

2 Likes

I don’t think you understand a “want” of a true tech nerd - what more one who has a collection of old Macs.

This has very little to do with being a “true” tech nerd. Whatever that may be.

This article by fellow tech nerd Jason Snell, puts everything nicely into perspective.

And unless you’re someone in the extreme high end of the Mac market, you will never use one.

And please, never ever start about the St. Jude pledge again,

I say for myself when I say that the pull of the new Mac Pro is very real. Every day I think about it and talking myself out of it. I can’t imagine how strong that pull must be on someone who’s a Mac nerd like @ismh I totally get it that he will buy one. I wish I can talk myself into it :slight_smile:

If you have a problem with our fundraising, I honestly don’t know what to say to you about it.

As far as the Mac Pro, I work really hard, and I saved each month after WWDC for it and was really fortunate to be able to do it. I know it’s ridiculous, and I hesitated to talk about it early on, for this exact reason.

But having something nice doesn’t put me in a position where I can’t or don’t understand what general users what and need. Away from Relay, I have a pretty good-sized consulting base of every-day Mac users whom I love supporting, and I enjoy the community here deeply. Helping and talking about people getting stuff done with technology is a real honor.

If my work is suddenly offensive because of a purchase I made (or a charity that saved my son’s life) I’m genuinely sorry. But I’m okay with my choices.

24 Likes

You have an opinion about @ismh’s purchase. Okay. Fine.

But why bring up fundraising for St. Jude in this context? How on Earth are the two even remotely related?

I would like to remind people to please keep comments on topic and not to attack people or their decisions directly. Remember, we only see the side of people available to us - just like an iceberg, there’s more beneath the surface than what we can see or know about.

16 Likes

Money?
As I understood from the fundraisers (and from St. Jude’s website):

Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food—because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.<

That’s of course fantastic. And something no sane person can have anything against. No cynicism here; I mean it from the bottom of my heart. However, when hearing about this excessive expense on a computer that’s really just meant for the absolute top-end of the professional creative market - mind you, with all accessories we’re talking about $10k - I couldn’t help but think how someone can justify this, when on the other hand (s)he knows what can be done with all this money. And it’s not that the person in question didn’t have a decent computer.

Like I wrote before, to each their own. But it’s not what I would have done with this amount of money. Nor what I’d encourage others to do. Especially not when you know - from first hand experience - what else can be done with such an amount. It just doesn’t feel right to me. If others can justify this, well, that’s fine too of course.

Spending money responsibly is important to me. That’s why I stopped supporting charities whose leaders earn top salaries. I now only support relatively small charities, with little or no overhead.

Hope this clarifies my point of view on this matter.

2 Likes

It does. Thanks. (20 char.)

Thanks for taking one for the team @ismh :slight_smile:

Can you please talk about your migration from the iMac Pro? Either here, or the on show, or the Mac Pro Log.

Thank you.

I am excited to see Apple showing strong signs of getting back on track with the Mac line.

Although, ironically, I feel like I may have bought my last Mac. I have a 2018 MacBook Pro which I expect to be using as my daily driver for a few years. When it’s time to replace that, I expect the iPad may be evolved enough to suit my needs.

Although when that day comes the machine I buy will likely be a hybrid between the Mac and iPad of today. Something with the simple OS and tablet form factor of the iPad, combined with the ability to easily and naturally attach a keyboard, mouse/trackball/touchpad and external display. Or maybe by that time the display will be some kind of AR device; you won’t look at a display, you’ll put on glasses and the display will apparently float in front of you.

I also expect to see a LOT more voice capabilities.

1 Like

You owe no one an apology for your personal purchase decisions anymore than your listeners owe you an apology for theirs. As to the St. Jude fundraising, I consider that totally appropriate and an invaluable blessing to their families and children. If someone has a problem with that and prefers to support other charities, that is fine but in my opinion they should skip that portion of the podcast or email you privately rather than criticizing someone personally in this forum. Although I have other organizations that I support rather than St. Jude, I encourage you to continue the fundraiser. An organization that saved your child’s life is worthy of your support and efforts to support it. I wish there was more of the “judgement of charity” and less criticism and cynicism. We seem to live in a culture of outrage where everyone seems to feel as though he or she has the intrinsic right to pass judgement on others online.

11 Likes

Sure thing. I sold the iMac Pro before the new one arrived, so it was as simple as updating my Time Machine drive then restoring from it on the new Mac. It’s really a smooth process; I didn’t have much of anything to fix.

4 Likes

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

My Synology was destroyed by some water damage at our house, and I will 100% be replacing it with a Mac mini. Why? Because managing a Linux box (which is essentially what the Synology is) was not something I enjoyed doing. It was a pain. It was un-user-friendly. It was hard to backup. The network configuration was confusing. It routinely unmounted itself when idle. It was difficult to get it to auto-mount on login.

At the time when I bought it, 3TB was a big drive, and 4TB was new. I needed an 8-bay Synology to get about 18TB of space. Now you can easily get 10TB drives, and 12TB are coming out.

Yes there’s an advantage to having one pool of data and being able to swap out dead drives, but there’s a cost too.

As much as you believe most people don’t need a Mac Pro, so I believe most people don’t need a NAS and would have an easier and more flexible experience with a Mac mini.

The comment about St Jude was extremely offensive, completely unrelated, and uncalled for. Personally I think you just enjoy pissing in the pool. I wouldn’t expect people to line up to convince you to stick around.

8 Likes