517: State of the iPhone

David is on to something here I think with his shortcuts. I think at some point in the future the idea of going to an app to do a job will seem antiquated. Is it voice recognition - “Siri send an email to Tim Cook” to automatically launch an email draft or something completely new that will be the way humans operate future iPhones?

And continuing to improve the camera won’t hurt, of course.

I could imagine a day when most apps are essentially extensions of the operating system in the same way that photo editing apps can be integrated directly into the Photos app. A user’s primary interaction would be as you predicted: with Siri or through spotlight. iOS would use all these tools to source and present data and provide functionality globally. Maybe not every app would fit into this model, but most could.

• This is not a prediction so much as my imagination running somewhat wild.

Following on what other people said about Siri, a REAL commitment to on-device voice-to-text capabilities. A dedicated chip for processing and maybe dedicated memory.

Because while I hate when Siri gets the translation wrong, what REALLY bothers me is when it can’t understand “Pause” because I only have one bar. Or Siri can’t “Launch Drafts” because my wifi has connected to SpectrumWiFi, but there’s actually no connection. When we can use Siri without worrying about the internet, that will be transformative, at least to me.

4 Likes