520: Weather Apps & Gear

1 Like

I hope this one blows you away. :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

7 Likes

The new Mac catalyst version of CARROT Weather was a regression in my option and resulted in bugs that make it no longer usable. It has a bug that means it’s always shown in Mission Control even when hidden, and removed the Today View widget.

I’ve been pleased with the weather features of iStat Menus, although I wish there was a catalyst version of Dark Sky or Weather Line for the Mac.

I’m sure it will, but if it doesn’t, I won’t say anything, because I wouldn’t want to rain on your parade.

:umbrella::umbrella::umbrella::umbrella::umbrella:

There’s no way that they could have included all of them, but here’s one that I like:

Storm Shield Weather Radio App: Severe weather alerts for your exact location, for iPhone and Android

This one will do the sort of audible alerts that you might be used to from when they used to break into live TV with a breaking news alert about weather. Those radios used to be expensive, and having it in my pocket is really useful.

When I’m visiting my mom, she still turns on the 11pm news for the forecast, despite the number of times I have reminded her:

• that she can get that information on her iPad whenever she wants
  • and the local news is terrible (as are all news stations these days)

The biggest problem with these apps going subscription is that IAPs aren’t shared with other family members, so rather than one $10 subscription a year, I’d need $30/year for my wife, son, and me.

So what happens instead is that I subscribe to the weather app(s) that I like and then just text my wife and son if there are weather events/info that they need.

FYI there are a few Netatmo Weather Station for Smartphones Android and iOS - NWS01US (Renewed) available at Amazon for $50 off the regular price ($130 instead of $180). This has been on my wishlist for awhile, so I grabbed one of them.

I am surprised neither David nor Stephen suggested a Weather Rock!

Agreed, both about Carrot Weather on the Mac and iStat Menus.

Haven’t listened to the podcast but the show notes mention Hello Weather (free, w/ $6.99/yr IAP), which has been my go-to iOS weather app because of the clarity of its design. Free, but the IAP subscription lets you choose between four weather data sources for comparison, and I usually bounce between results from two of them - Dark Sky and The Weather Channel - to see how and where those sources differ in their forecasts for the next upcoming hours. (Those two have been the most accurate in my area.)

Does Hello Weather do push notifications?

The web page talks about “Real-Time Precipitation Estimates” but does not mention notifications at all, except for “Forecast Notifications” which are, for some reason, “Android only”.

A surprisingly enjoyable episode. I would not have thought weather apps make an interesting subject, but it does.

I tried Weather Line. A nice app but without a Today widget it won’t be my main.

I’ll try Hello Weather.

I find Dark Sky only somewhat reliable, which is noteworthy because I, like David, live in SoCal, and he seems to find it quite reliable.

My favorite format for displaying weather is the NY Times print edition. I like seeing a few days of history as part of the forecast, as well as “normal” ranges. I’m using Weatherline for now. It would be nice to have an iPad version that works in landscape mode.

3 Likes

I have used Partly Sunny for a while. https://www.partlysunnyapp.com/

I like the looks of Hello Weather and I’m giving it a spin. Thanks!

There was a mention early on in the show about the importance of checking the privacy policy for your app of choice. Here are some examples from the apps mentioned that show why that might matter to you.

WeatherBug is owned by GroundTruth, a location based advertising company. A New York Times study in late 2018 showed that WeatherBug for iOS was sending precise location information to 40 companies. That may help answer the question of how it is they’re still around.

The Weather Channel app was also in the news early last year because of a lawsuit Los Angeles filed over the deceptive collection and sale of user data. Weather Underground, by the way, is owned by The Weather Channel. It looks like Weather Underground has a different privacy policy though and it seems to say that they wouldn’t share your information if you pay for an ad-free subscription. I think? However their data handling might be a concern.

3 Likes

love this weather client doenst support any ios specific features but the data is great and presented nicely
windfinder

1 Like

Wow. That is beautiful. The winds are hard to predict in this area because of the mountains. That’s going to be interesting to watch here the next time we have a wind event.

Has there been a separate thread or vote for when @ismh should ring his bell?

Because my vote is when @MacSparky mentions Automation!

3 Likes

For privacy reasons I turn off all location-based tracking/notifications in 3rd-party apps, and in my weather apps I just use a location preset. I’m guessing if they don’t state it, then no. I rarely need push notifications for weather - I check the app (or the excellent widget) a few times a day, and that’s enough for me. (FWIW, back when I upgraded to iOS 11 I turned off virtually all notifications and it made for a much more pleasant experience overall.)

Ring the bell when David mentions Disney.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve never understood why historical data (last few days is plenty) isn’t easy to see with a quick swipe back in weather apps.

2 Likes

MyRadar Pro is a great app too. I use it along with Darksky and Weather Underground.
Living in FL I also have a couple news channel apps that have great weather apps and also lightning warning push notifications when lightning is detected within your area

Fun episode! I’m still mostly a DarkSky user. And as a ham radio operator, we also did the SkyWarn training. :slight_smile:

I wanted to mention a DIY whether “app” solution for forecasts. In my experience, the best forecasting in the U.S. is available at weather.gov from the National Weather Service. Forecasts are hyperlocal. The webpage, however, is visually a bit noisy. But there’s a text-only view.

You can plug-in your zip code, and then just bookmark the URL. I’ve added a shortcut to my home screen on iPhone that takes me to this page. Loads fast enough, always at the ready. Most importantly, the information is really good. Here’s what that looks like:

I keep this next to Weather Line, and prefer the shortcut nine-times-out of ten.

As an aside, I think it’s really interesting how earthquakes get conceptually associated, if not lumped, with weather. I do this, too. Both are difficult-to-predict environmental forces. :slight_smile:

3 Likes