522: iCloud Family Sharing

1 Like

This was a fun one to get into. Family Sharing is waaaaay better than it was when it launched and I think it is a genuinely useful feature.

5 Likes

I look forward to the instructions for setting up a shared photo library.

Too soon?

2 Likes

@MacSparky , you are not the only one who likes Chuck Mangione’s music. Besides . . .

“The man charted a top 10 hit with a Flugelhorn!” -Dr. Stephen Strange

2 Likes

Great discussion, thanks for a useful breakdown of family sharing. I definitely under utilise the family sharing features. This is going to push me to help my wife access all the shared purchases and content!

1 Like

Great episode. We (2 adults, three kids) jumped into Family Sharing the week Apple Music came out. It was definitely a bit wonky the first few months. But been smooth sailing since. Especially love the shared data plans and music.

That for sure would be a video in upcoming Photos Field Guide right @MacSparky :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great episode. This cleared up a lot of questions for me regarding family sharing in iCloud, much appreciated.

1 Like

When it comes to Chuck Mangione, everyone goes to “Feels so Good”, which was by far his biggest commercial success. The tune I was thinking about, however, was “Carousel” from the Bellavia album. Some sweet soprano Sax in there.

Also, people don’t realize it, but Chuck has real chops as a bebop player too. Do you think Stephen would have let me say all that on the show? :slight_smile:

Maybe Chuck needs a Jazz Friday post at MacSparky.

6 Likes

There are 5 of us in the family but only 4 on devices so far and I really appreciate family sharing for apps, music, cloud backup/storage, screen time, and find my. One problem we ran into is my middle daughter (10 yo) has the iPod touch and it can only run iOS 12, which means no Apple Arcade and she’s the one who would enjoy it the most. Otherwise, no complaints.

Great episode. My wife and I just had our first child in October and we’ve been discussing both family sharing for photos and her future technology use (okay, maybe I’M more focused on the latter…), so a deeper dive into parental controls would be welcome.

I’m starting to look into this. I’d need to create an AppleID for my 8 year old right?

My 200GB iCloud Storage is almost reaching its maximum and I am too cheapskate to fork out for 2TB. Oh Apple, when are you going to give us a 1TB plan?

It’s super-weird, and the only thing I can think of – much like keeping the free tier at 5GB – is that it’s a decision made to increase services revenue… which is not a good look for the richest company in the world.

Yep! Just make sure to use their actual birth date when doing so.

1 Like

Microsoft OneDrive and Amazon storage offer 1Tb for $69.99, but for most Mac users they’re 2nd-tier products. Google and Dropbox offer the same tier spacing/pricing as Apple. If you need more space I’d either recommend using OneDrive or spending $2.50/month more for the full 2Tb from Apple/Google/Dropbox. (And if you need even more storage Box.com offers unlimited storage for $171/yr.)

Just pretend the $10/month plan is a 1TB plan. :wink: That used to be standard for cloud storage.

1 Like

And if you pay with iTunes gift cards (how I pay for Apple Music and Apple News+) you can get that 2Tb for $85/yr.

1 Like

For me the 2TB tier is ÂŁ6.99 the 200GB is ÂŁ2.99
I’d expect the 2TB tier to be £9.99.
Think it’s the only thing that’s cheaper in the UK than the US for apple related things :slight_smile:

I enjoy all kinds of music from classical to rock & country, etc. But late at night I tend to listen to jazz. That I trace back to a music teacher who played Herbie Hancock’s Watermelon Man for me around 1962-63.

Yes, Chuck Mangione would be a fine addition to Jazz Friday. And no, I doubt all that would have made it past Stephen. :smile: