538: I Predate the Home Computer, with James Thomson

:wave: Hello all! This was a lot of fun. Apologies in advance if you’ve heard some of my stories before…

16 Likes

I’ve heard most of them before, but you are always entertaining. Thanks for taking the time to appear on the show!

2 Likes

People like to hear the hits, nothing off the new album :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh yeah, “Classic Rock” or more recently “Dad Rock”.

1 Like

Thouroughly enjoyed this episode and all of the stories.

Also found myself excited to hear from someone who worked on Finder and the Dock. Doesn’t get nerdier than that, does it?

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wonder when Slayer and Cannibal Corpse will be Dad Rock, maybe they are already:)

1 Like

I mean, I’m not a dad, so I think I can claim all of my ancient musical tastes are still hip :slight_smile:

Prodigy? Breeders? NIN? The Orb? Leftism?

Wake me up before you go go.

1 Like

James, thanks for your episode. I pre-date you as my school days the “computer club” was a stand alone terminal with paper ribbon! We plugged a telephone handset into a device to allow it to communicate with the computer. It is astonishing to see how computer and technology has moved in my life. I now speak (for virtually free) to family members overseas and have amazing resources on my desktop, which would have been beyond science fiction when I was a child.

Thank you again for your episode.

Jonathan
Worcester UK

1 Like

I have listened to all of those in the last week!

Thank you! And yes, I was looking at my phone just this morning, and thinking it would blow my childhood mind…

1 Like

I just finished hearing the podcast. It has been one of the best interview, so original, the responses felt so honest and spontaneous… I loved it. Really entertaining … did I already said that a loved the interview? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

1 Like

Anybody remember CompuServe? My first “mobile” computer was a Compaq. It weighted as much as a sewing machine. I remember carrying, dragging, it through the Dallas airport. I felt tired and cool!

5 Likes

I do indeed.

And having to set the phone receiver on the modem to connect to the internet. Fun times…

2 Likes

Those were the days. That machine was a beast to lug around. And a screen the size of today’s phone basically.

2 Likes

I was a CIS Sysop for the Pets Forum back in the day. I used to have a t-shirt but that one has since died I believe, unless it’s in the T-Shirt Archives…

2 Likes

But it still fits I’m sure! :slight_smile:

1 Like