539: Back to Email

1 Like

Let me know what you think about the embedded mini-interviews!

7 Likes

It’s a great way to get perspective from experienced users who know more about the topic without having them join the whole show. Side note, at 46:04 & 51:23, I think @RosemaryOrchard meant Airmail instead of Airtable.

2 Likes

Great episode. I’m disappointed that you fell into the trap of so many In the Apple community of only looking deeply at four email apps - Apple Mail, Gmail, Airmail, and Spark. Outlook should be in the top two or three apps heavily discussed in these type of setting (I remember the days when David would spend weeks testing apps to recommend the best option). In my opinion, Outlook is right up there with rivaling Apple Mail as the most stable email app, and is available for any type of email you throw in it. It doesn’t creepily store your emails on their own server like Spark, which is a no go for my work IT department and for me after Edison Mail became the latest to exposure sensitive user data from their servers. Finally, the features are great. Snoozing, really fine Do Not Disturb and Notification Controls per account, VIP flags pulled into separate folders for your most important Senders, and a built in virtual assist (Cortana) that will read you emails and let you act on them solely through voice to set up tasks, schedule meetings, and set time to work on a response. I’m surprised so many Apple fans ignore it just because it’s made by Microsoft - it may be the best email app on iOS.

8 Likes

I liked the mini interviews. I think Myke’s was the first time I’ve heard someone talk about Spark for Teams. Sounds like a perfect use case.

1 Like

That’s how it goes, Justin. The Mac Power Users seem to be a bit short sighted when it comes to applications (and guests). Besides Outlook there are also Postbox and MailMate as really powerful mail clients. All more than viable alternatives.

As for Outlook, one of the main shortcomings is the lack of cardDAV/calDAV integration. So for non-Office365 users it’s hard to get access to their contacts and calendars.

2 Likes

I’d thought that this would be the rare podcast with Rosemary Orchard that didn’t mention Airtable. I needn’t have worried.

5 Likes

The best iOS email client is Preside, but it never seems to rate a mention. The app is brilliant. Along with MailMate on Mac, all my email needs are taken care of.

5 Likes

How come I never heard about it? It even has IMAP keywords. Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely check it out.

Update: Unfortunately it’s a subscription app. I think I’ll stick with Mail. :frowning:

I somehow never heard of Mailmate until a few months ago (maybe because it rarely comes up on MPU), and I’m puzzled about why it doesn’t get a serious look. It seems like it’s literally the kind of app that Mac power users would most want. If it were mentioned and dismissed as “too ugly” or “too fiddly,” I’d understand that. But I don’t remember any extended discussion of Mailmate in the past. (Maybe I’m forgetting it.)

For those who don’t know, it’s screaming fast — noticeably faster than any other mail client I’ve tried for the Mac, and it’s almost infinitely customizable with smart rules, smart folders, etc.

Based on my experience with it, I’m about to download Preside for iOS, another app I’ve never heard of.

I also loved the interviews. It was a perfect implementation. Myke’s description of Spark for Teams is the best case for it I’ve ever heard. And I think we all know that @RosemaryOrchard is only a small nudge away from literally building an email client that operates entirely inside Airtable.

2 Likes

Could be the bad reputation it got when first released. MS purchased it from Acompli and it was still storing login credentials on 3rd party servers when they release their version. That got it banned by a lot of companies.

Just installed Preside. WHAT THE HECK??!!

@Drewster This was a great recommendation. At least so far. It seems a lot like the Mailmate sensibility: let the user decide how to set it up and use it.

@vco1 There’s a premium subscription, but unless I misunderstand, what I’m seeing on my phone after setup is already way more powerful than Mail, so unless they’ve figured out a way to implement a trial, I think it’s worth a look.

Shocked to hear that you guys have had positive experiences with Apple Mail’s search. At our agency it was the reason we switched to Gmail last year. I would get completely different results on different Macs with the same IMAP settings on the same account. Some days I could find stuff, some days I had to manually dig. It was infuriating.

I wish Gmail had a proper client, but it’s just so good in Chrome. Pair it with Zapier and it’s really powerful.

3 Likes

Mailmate was in a section of the mail episode we cut for time, but we’l be talking more about it in next week’s feedback episode.

5 Likes

I thought Outlook got enough discussion. I would have called it the best iOS mail client a few years ago (it was introduced to me as such.) It’s still a nice looking client with a good focus view, integrated calendar and O365 integration. Power users whose companies don’t use O365 can be more productive on other apps, in my opinion.

I actually tried to make Outlook work for me on Mac, and my gripe with it was that it ignored the system integrations in favor of its own.

So it would (for example) see a calendar event, and offer to add it to my calendar - then it would add it to some calendar internal to Outlook rather than my Apple calendar. Same with contacts.

I realize there are probably ways to try to get these things to sync, but I think it’s a little crazy that a Mac application can’t put something on the native Mac calendar - or into the Mac contacts list. The added friction is what got me to uninstall Outlook.

So it’s not because it’s made by Microsoft - it’s because Microsoft is a poor platform citizen in some regards. :slight_smile:

The subscription is totally optional. I paid because I liked it so much but even the developer states that the app is essentially donationware.

Enjoyed the episode!

I think it’s important to make a PSA to recommend that people turn off image loading by default in their mail apps.

That feature is exploited for tracking, which can let bad actors know that you received and viewed the email they sent, which tells them you’re an attractive target. Don’t be attractive! (That’s easier to do with quarantine hair…)

3 Likes

By way of follow up, here’s my review of MailMate.

And this review by Bryce Wray on Preside.

1 Like

I agree. Both with your evaluation of Apple Mail search (It’s worthless) and Gmail in Chrome.

Welcome @gnomesteel. IMO, you’re off to a great start :grinning:

1 Like