541: wwdc 2020

I found it interesting you guys talked about the lack of Thunderbolt on the dev kit Macs and how that was needed to run 5-6K displays, but didn’t mention that the WWDC demos were done on the XDR. So do they have a prototype with Thunderbolt? Were they driving the XDR at only 4K? We may never know. :slight_smile:

The iPad Pro works with a Pro Display XDR… it won’t output full 6K resolution, but it outputs HDR, and works. A relatively insignificant hack to prepare for the keynote.

From last December:

1 Like

Interesting! I hadn’t seen this. I thought it was limited to Thunderbolt only. I guess we’ll see the actual capabilities as people with XDRs start getting the dev kits,.

I expect the macs that ship in nov/dec to use USB4 this includes the TB3 spec. Likely they have not finished validation on this (as it requires sharing hardware with other people who do validation so is hard to do in secrete) so the DTK that is shipping just supports USB3.

I’d bet that the DTK just uses the same USB3 controller setup as the 2018/2020 iPads.

2 Likes

I have a couple of questions:

Reminders:

1. How does the new contact assigning feature work? Can you just assign a task to any contact in the Contacts app?
  2. Can you assign multiple contacts to a single task?
  3. Can you manually re-order tasks in the Smart Lists?
  4. Can you nest lists/groups inside each other? Like sub-lists/sub-groups?

Reminders/Shortcuts:

1. Can you filter reminders by whether or not they are flagged? (using the “Find Reminders” action in Shortcuts)
  2. Can you filter reminders by assigned contacts? (also using Shortcuts)

Calendar:

1. Does the widget show both the event you’re currently in and the next event at all times? (this is a sore point with me for the current Calendar widgets)

Shortcuts:

1. Can you merge shortcuts?
  2. Can you run shortcuts from the home screen without launching the Shortcuts app?

Notes:

1. Can you link between notes? (without hacky workarounds)

Sorry about all the questions. I’m trying to resist installing betas and knowing the answers to these questions will definitely help with that :upside_down_face:.

1 Like

Anyone have any information about the speed cameras and red light cameras coming to Apple Maps? Will it be like Waze?