545: State of the Apple Watch

I don’t have an iPhone, but I really, really want an Apple Watch. I hope someday apple makes it so that you don’t need an iPhone to use it.

That depends on whether you buy what you need or buy what you want, doesn’t it :wink:

My Series 2 still does everything I need so an upgrade is easy to resist. And that’s a good thing considering a 2020 iPad Pro wasn’t.

1 Like

I know in a previous episode @MacSparky mentioned wearing his watch with the crown “in” and I have to say this is a game-changer especially for the hand washing function in Apple Watch 7 :slight_smile:

It really works synergistically with the phone - I don’t mind having to have a phone for the watch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure what it would look like without an iPhone.

My gripe with with how most payment machines work is even when I use Apple Pay there are dialogs that require me to touch them either before (“would you like to donate” or after (“asking for pin, payment amount, etc) giving my payment info that it sort of renders the point of being contactless pointless.

1 Like

Here’s how I’d like to see scrolling via the digital crown work when you are using the watch - give me the ability to scroll and change the complication(s) in view, one or more of them. In this way you could include up to 8 complications on a single watch face. That would be useful.

It would look like a very small iPhone that you can wear on your wrist.

Lol, bruh, that would be legit!

It’s ALREADY a small iPhone you can wear on your wrist. It just requires a bigger iPhone. For now at least.

I just want to be able to sign in with my Apple ID, no phone required, and have it work

1 Like

Team Crown-in, all the way!. It’s also nice because it helps you accidentally setting off Siri when you rest on a table, palm down.

1 Like

Walgreens is the only purely touchless payment option I have that also includes a membership. Both are part of Apple Pay and I love it. Safeway is the worst with yea donate, card number, pin…

Yes, few terminals or stores allow a fully touch-less experience, Trader Joes seems to be one of only a few. You always seem to have to sign if using it as a credit card or enter your bloody PIN, kind of defeats the whole purpose of having contacts :frowning: It seems to be down to the banks and legal nonsense.

Just got series 3 on Amazon $168 new. Love it.

1 Like

Right, I have the Crown in (e.g., towards my body) on the Watch I use at the gym (I have two). This prevents activating Siri when doing push-ups or handling weights during exercises.

1 Like

Apple Pay is great on the Watch, especially these days when Face ID on the iPhone doesn’t easily or reliably recognize your face when you are wearing a mask. Most places I go take Apple Pay, with only one notable exception (I’m looking at you, Home Depot!).

I also like how the Watch will assist in unlocking your Mac, or allow you to access Secure Notes in Apple Notes, or get into the Password keychain. And of course confirming an Apple Pay purchase you make on the Mac.

My most-used third party app on the Watch is Anylist. I’ll do my weekly meal plan and market list using Anylist on my iPad, which is synced to my iPhone, which is synced to my Watch through iCloud. Once at the market, I start Anylist on my watch and go down the list while shopping. Tapping on an item crosses it off the list, and you use the crown to scroll through the list. Much easier and faster than doing it on the Phone, or (eek!) on paper!

Also, during the week, if I notice we’re running low on something, I can add items to Anylist via speaking into the Watch (“Add donuts to my Grocery List”) or by talking to one of my HomePods using Hey Siri (“Hey Siri, add beer to my grocery list”).

Here’s my pro tip: Consider using complications as an app launcher instead of the dock. Launching apps on the watch is much faster using complications on the watch face than going into the dock, scrolling the list for the right one, then tapping.

One big use you didn’t mention about the side button on the watch was APPLE PAY, especially now that wearing masks makes face ID on the iPhone for Apple Pay is a no-go.

1 Like

I just got an Apple Watch Series 5, paid way too much for it and it’s worth every nickel! It is just too cool and I never even wanted to be like Dick Tracy. I have the bright rich orange Vitamin C and is she gorgeous! This is definitely one of the most fantastic iToys I have ever had!

Go for it! If you’re feeling the least bit guilty, I’m fairly sure you can buy a rebuilt one, It will be quite some time before I’ll utter any kvetch if at all. Plus the iWatch can monitor your health! Immeasurable!

1 Like

I’ve been doing this for the last 2 weeks and am having trouble getting used to it (been wearing a watch since series 0). Its hard. I keep reaching for the crown dial on the outside and haven’t gotten used to the side button for aPay. It great that I don’t accidentally trigger Siri randomly, but I’m still not sure its worth it…

2 Likes