548: Jumping Into Markdown

Did you install Drafts’s Mail Assistant?

2 Likes

I’d like to contact the author of Markdown Tables to suggest they add CSV import and export.

Copy and edit from the clipboard in numbers.

Thanks so much! I think I probably just need to play with it a little more.

Thanks. Unfortunately it requires Catalina and I’m stuck on Mojave on my vintage 2012 Mac Pro cheesegrater. Odd that Brett’s Markdown Service Tools and Multimarkdown show that error.

That implies I’m IN Numbers. (I never am.)

Seconded!

Though rather than .txt, I have iA Writer save files as .md by default—but that’s very much a personal preference thing.

:exploding_head:

I don’t know how late to this party I am, but thanks for sharing the link!

Drafts, use “Copy to RTF” action.

I tried @MacSparky’s tip for using code blocks for notes and annotations, and at first that did not work for me because I like for my notes and annotations to really POP – be visually obvious when I scan a document – and code blocks are too subtle to jump out at me.

Then I wrote a simple CSS to render code snippets and blocks with a bright yellow background. And that works fine.

* {
    font-family: "Menlo";
  }

pre, code 
    {
    background-color: yellow;

6 Likes

In Drafts there are actions for different mail programs such as Spark. No claim they are better than @bowline suggested. They may be worse.

I wonder how David Sparks and other lawyers cope with drafting legal docs that require deep multi-level numbered lists and paragraphs?

Can’t imagine drafting a pleading without relative numbering.

Is there a markdown flavour that sorts that out?

Very inspiring show guys, keen to simply think and write and get away from the non billable work of endless formatting.

In the USA legal documents like pleadings, briefs, affidavits and instruments like wills or deeds are typically composed and edited in Word using templates. (Some small Mac law offices might be comfortable with Pages templates, but those are outliers.)

David has stated previously he used Word and Google Docs.

I’ve given a lot of thought to this in the past here.

So far there’s not a good solution. You can do some basic CSS to number headings correctly. But cross references aren’t easy. I’ll be picking up the blog on this topic again soon. ASCIIDoctor is potentially promising.

I’m using HTML <span> elements in some of my Markdown applications. That allows you to keep the “regular” Markdown elements, ahem, regular.

1 Like

Haha … I do all of that in Word or Pages. Easier in Word.

One thing that might help a bit is the fact that you van reuse 1. for all items in a list. I do this so that rearrangement of numbered list items doesn’t look silly.

(But then I’m not sure I understand the problem.)

Ciaran, this is brilliant! Thank you for the link, I’ve had a little browse and it looks like it will need some more dedicated attention.

It occurs to me that numbering is really a formatting issue rather than a content one, so it could be adequately dealt with by way of tab levels or similar. That is:

Notion:
[tab]list item;
[tab]list item:
[tab][tab]sublist item;
[tab][tab]sublist item.

Notion:

Etc.

All legal content should have a clear “subject”, so I could imagine a system crosslinking between “subject” paragraphs could work.

Writing out the above, it also occurs to me that an auto assumption that a passage ending with a colon should be followed by a passage one tab level in.

Plus semi-colons until the last, auto add “and/or” to second last, period to last.

That’d do me.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Ah ha, no surprises there! Thanks David. Word is really the king of all this stuff.

Hi Martin

Lawyers do it all sorts of different ways, the pleading templates in Australia tend to:

(a)
(i)

In my letter drafting I’ve been toying with:

(a)
(i)

So, it could get ugly really quickly in a plaintext/markdown environment.

1 Like