555: iOS 14 Extravaganza

I didn’t even realize there is a Siri Suggestions widget for the home screen.

I tried it out now and I’m not sure I like it.

My manually created home screen is aspirational – filled with productivity and collaboration apps.

My Siri suggestions widget is harsh reality. It’s got the App Store in it, so I can compulsively check for app updates 20 times a day, Twitter, Apollo for Reddit, Facebook, Inoreader, the News App so I can compulsively check political news, and Amazon for retail therapy.

Well, I certainly can’t speak for your situation but as for mine, I don’t use Twitter, Apollo, or Facebook. But, here is the trick, you can click/hold and then select “Don’t select xyz app.” That way you train it. I hope that helps.

2 Likes

I can say the suggestions pretty much represent which apps I’m currently using a lot, so if you don’t let it seduce you to open those time consuming apps, you will teach it pretty fast to leave you alone with those.

I’m kinda liking the App Library, I have apps that I need but don’t use that often in it. How does everyone else like it?

I don’t use it at all. I go all by spotlight now, but it starts annoying me. I think I’m gonna bring back some important apps back to the Homescreen.

@Bmosbacker I’m leaving it alone, at least for now. The social media app icons will serve as reminders to me that I should be making better use of my time! (As @Robert suggests.)

2 Likes

That probably wouldn’t work for me–I’d be like the proverbial moth drawn to the flame! :slight_smile: I’d rather “flee” the temptation than have it stare me in the face every time I picked up my phone. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just noticed that the map widget shows my next appointment. But how do you get it to update? Basically it keeps showing an appointment that happened an hour ago and won’t show a new one that’s in an hour.

For the most part I really like iOS 14. First page nothing but widgets. Photos widget for my enjoyment, a small stack of shortcut widgets, and a little larger stack of productivity app widgets. Just a few apps on the second page. The App Library has really worked well for me. My only “struggle” has been getting time triggered shortcuts to work consistently. Some days they work and some days they don’t. Not sure why, but guessing I will figure it out eventually.