568: Looking Toward 2021

Continuous Glucose Monitor - checks your blood sugar every x minutes and provides a near-realtime reading, ideally to an app/Apple Health. They are usually available with a prescription for type 1 diabetics, and require some kind of patch on the skin with a sensor underneath that’s been inserted into the skin with a needle.

Oh cool. So the patch is the sensor and theoretically other devices could pick up the readings. Just read your earlier reply about the state of the market. I hope that technology becomes more of a reality for you.

The alternative, literally, is basically stabbing yourself with a little pin a bunch of times per day to draw blood - so anything that minimizes that is good. And enough people are diabetic that it would be HUGE, market-wise, to say nothing of the early-detection diagnostic potential for Type 2 if it’s accurate enough.

1 Like

They talked about losing sponsors that went out of business this year with Covid possibly to blame. The only one I can think of is Transmission. Was there any others? Not sure if it was a sponsor, but Gazelle is getting out of the trade-in business, just selling used devices. Their parent company runs the ecoATM kiosks, and I guess they just consider that a better business model.

I am really excited about the teased slight changes in terms of format. Having multiple guests, as well as having more diverse guests sounds great. After so many years some fresh perspectives could benefit the longevity of the show. Looking forward to it!

Hi all, long time listener here, but new to the forums…

Some thoughts around this episode:

• The fact is that Apple wants you to own all their 3 main devices: an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac. There will continue to be limitations in iPadOS that will gently push you to the Mac, “you can do this much, but no further… here’s a Mac that will do that for you”. I would love to be able to use an iPad as my only device, but I don’t think Apple will make the iPad a parallel device to the Mac in all aspects any time soon. :man_shrugging:t2:

• Stephen commented in the episode that the Apple Watch is the “de facto” smartwatch and that there is no real competition. Now while that might be the case in North America, it certainly is not the case here in Europe. There is a huge amount of different models and brands available at any electronics outlet. And watches from Huawei, Honor, Samsung, Polar etc. compete evenly and often outsell the Apple Watch over here. Some sales figures pasted below. Even though I’m a fan of Apple, I have to say that the Apple Watch is Apples “laziest” product, especially regarding the battery life. I have a watch by Huawei that has SpO2, active sleep tracking, heart rate monitoring, handsfree etc. AND a 10 day battery life for 200€. So not a fan of the Apple Watch… :man_shrugging:t2:

October sales by one of the bigger retailers in Finland.

1. (3.) Huawei Watch GT
  2. (8.) Apple Watch Series 6
  3. (13.) Apple Watch SE
  4. (5.) Honor Band 5 *)
  5. (6.) Huawei Band 4 Pro *)
  6. (2.) Huawei Watch GT2
  7. (9.) Samsung Galaxy Fit e *)
  8. (-) Huawei Watch GT 2 Pro
  9. (4.) Apple Watch Series 3
  10. (11.) Samsung Galaxy Fit *)
  11. (7.) Honor Magic Watch 2
  12. (-) Huawei Watch Fit *)
  13. (1.) Apple Watch Series 5
  14. (10.) Samsung Galaxy Watch Active2
  15. (14.) Samsung Galaxy Watch 3
1 Like

What’s the significance of the two sets of numbers?

Total, unabashed pipe dream: iPhone = Mac Mini.

iPhones include iOS and macOS. Hook up an external monitor and it runs macOS with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Unhook it and it runs iOS as usual.

1 Like

That would be pretty cool.

Android 3.0 had a laptop mode sort of thing. I had a phone with a $200-ish dock that the phone would chunk into, and it converted the phone into a larger-format “computer”.

I don’t remember it being good, but it existed. :slight_smile:

I have no doubt that Apple could make this happen, and might even have a prototype in the lab. But the marketing people, and probably the stockholders, would never let it happen:

If Apple allowed me to run an app and back up my iPad to a service like Backblaze I wouldn’t have had to replace my old Mac mini when it died.

But who knows, we might get an all in one like that when we start streaming our OS from the cloud on an Apple version of Microsoft’s Virtual Desktop.

1 Like