581: “Work” Flows with Stephen and David

I’m slowly transmitting them via laser into space. So, all I need to do is work out when I want the file from, then do old light collection at that distance. It’s a really simple method if you have access to some kind of FTL travel, which in then old days, would have sparked a hyperspace vs warp drive discussion between Katie and @MacSparky.

1 Like

I appreciate @MacSparky and @ismh talking in some detail about how they use DevonThink (DT). As a newcomer to comprehensive personal productivity systems, I’ve done a lot of reading and looked at a lot of software options. I kept running across references to DT, especially a few years back, mostly from users. I’m not seeing a lot of discussion about it recently; I get the sense that many writers/bloggers/podcasters now tend to focus on the “new and shiney” options out there. Maybe it’s “old hat” and boring to them, but I wish more would give it a place in the discussion so other newbies like me would be more aware of it.

So far, I’ve found that for me DT serves me well as a multiple function paperless office. It takes any kind of file I can throw at it, and then gives me a workable preview within DT (including videos). With one click I can OCR a file with it’s built in Abbey FineReader, convert it to a different format, etc. I can create and file new markdown, plaintext, etc. files from within DT, and link files. With one click from within DT I can open a file in an external application, make revisions, and they automatically save to DT. It has great search options, and it’s AI will surface related files I wouldn’t have thought of.

I use it as a finder with many additional helpful functions, but it still supports the hierarchal folder system I prefer. It has easy import and export and doesn’t change my data into some kind of proprietary format which could be useless to me if the program ever went belly up. I can just drag data in from the finder or desktop, and drag it out. No export hassles. Since the program has been around many years now and has a very active and responsive development team and helpful user forum, I feel like it’s something I can have confidence in and will likely still be here at least several years from now.

1 Like

The episode was interesting, but I feel left out of the conversation as I use Todoist for Tasks, Trello for Kanban, and Joplin + iCloud drive files for my knowledge management system.

I noted that in the episode they advised listeners to make sure their documents were stored locally instead of iCloud, but didn’t explain how to check that.

So I Web searched it this morning, and it looks like you go to system preferences->Apple Id->iCloud Settings. At the bottom of the screen there is a check box where you select if you want files stored locally or only in iCloud.

I hope that this helps someone who also didn’t know where this setting was at.

2 Likes

Only on Mac right? Not on iPad

As far as I know. I did check on my iPhone , and it only has the option to enable/disable iCloud Drive.

I don’t see any settings in the Files app either.
To be honest, I usually don’t work with files often from iDevices. It’s too cluncky for me.

1 Like

Its been about a week since I listened by MacSparky talked about making a project file. Does anyone remember around what timestamp he described this as I wanted to revisit it.