582: Radio and Podcasts and Books, Oh My... with Shelly Brisbin

Just listened. Very good, very interesting. Thanks all.

I agree. I thought that Shelly was an excellent and engaging guest. I particularly liked the fact that she seemed to be able to strike a solid balance between finding apps to use and remaining completely practical in her choice of apps and how she used them.

2 Likes

Great episode! The work/personal divide on a single computer really resonated with me — I don’t have a work computer, so everything is on my own devices. Chrome/Firefox profiles are great, but I want all my work to be fully quarantined into a separate apps so I can quit them at the end of the day. Here’s the workflow I’ve developed:

• I use Safari and Mail.app for personal, Firefox and Mailplanefor work
  • I have Choosy set as my default browser which lets me route URLs with a list of rules. Some examples:
    • any URL opened in Slack or Mailplane gets sent to Firefox
    • any link opened in Mail.app gets sent to Safari
    • If a URL starts with “docs.google”, “sheets.google” etc., it’s probably for work and should open in Firefox (my app-specific links supersede this)
    • Finally, I can shift-click on any URL to be presented with my browser options.
  • Finally, inspired by @tjluoma, Keyboard Maestro/Shortcuts give me a nasty-gram and quit my work apps if I try launching them outside of work hours. Keeps me from defaulting to work when I need to stop.

There are some nice things about not having a work computer — I can use the exact computer I want and like, there’s no weird spyware, I can run apps like Keyboard Maestro without an IT person raising an eyebrow — but it really requires intentionality to keep that work/life balance. There’s certainly been a lot of refining this over the past year!

Also, love hearing a fellow public radio producer on MPU :radio::relaxed:

4 Likes

Very nice! I do similar things. I use Firefox for work because I have to use Facebook for work and Firefox is pretty good about keeping Facebook from tracking you all over the web.

I have tried using different user accounts for my Work and Personal but always found it more hassle than it was worth. I still think it’s the best way to go in theory but in practice I can’t stick with it.

Just popping in to say I agree with @ismh in that I want a non-watch product from Apple for fitness tracking. I prefer my mechanical watches and would love a fitness tracker I could wear on my other wrist (or finger, like Oura)!

Their device could even have some taptic options if they want to notify me to check my phone, etc.

2 Likes

Enjoyed this! Found it interesting how the unique pressures of radio informed her tool and workflow tradeoffs.

Edit: Also, you got $5/mo from me for that watch discussion (and all the other great work! :slight_smile: )

2 Likes