583: The Obsidian Deep Dive

Hahaha, made my day, thanks!!
That mafioso is taking all our moneyšŸ¤£.

Nothingā€™s impossible! :wink:

I donā€™t think weā€™ll see the conventional macOS right-click/context menu anytime soon, but I do think itā€™ll be possible to run macOS services on selected text via a plugin. Itā€™s in my list to figure out! (Otherwise, add a vote to the relevant feature request thread on the Obsidian forum to encourage the devs to work on it in core Obsidian.)

Installed the new version based on Electron 12, and to my dismay, macOS system-wide autocorrect still does not work in Obsidian.

Indeedā€”I think the Electron team is almost there, but there are still problems with its spellchecking system across platforms (namely Windows). Weā€™ll see OS-based spellchecking in Obsi soon after that gets fixed, I think.

1 Like

Totally off-topicā€¦ I just noticed the book in your example. Such a great series! I love the use of songs.

1 Like

Absolutely wonderful news - I was hoping you were going to. One of my main uses is to solve genealogical problems.

This is the first Iā€™ve heard about this. Itā€™s a bummer because I thought I had a good system in place, with documents being stored in DT and the notes being stored in Obsidian.

I am hesitant about putting any kind of files into Obsidian because I donā€™t want to slow it downā€¦does it still seem to work OK?

Wondering if having a second Vault for reference documents might be a solution.

Files are not ā€œinā€ Obsidian ā€“ they are in folders that Obsidian monitors. I havenā€™t reached a data saturation point with Obsidian, but wouldnā€™t be surprised if thereā€™s an upper limit for file references in a document that could slow down processing. Itā€™s probably a high threshold.

3 Likes

Is it worth someone whose main machine is an iPad to become a Catalyst level member to join the iOS beta? I want to give Obsidian a real try, but I donā€™t have consistent access to a laptop or desktop.

1 Like

Sure, go for it. Obsidian on an iPad has essentially the same features as on the Mac. Even if you never used it on a Mac, itā€™s a great iPad app. Itā€™s not complete ā€“ they need a share extension and a few key things. But, it outshines a lot of other apps in its category.

4 Likes

Thank you, @quorum. Thatā€™s very helpful. I really appreciate your input.

Is it worth it? Depends! Both Mac and iPadOS versions are Beta. IPadOS more so that Mac. Are they equivalent? Not even close. 12.9 inches is NOT 24 inches, no matter what, and in this caseā€¦Size matters. To ME (and obviously its subjective) the Mac gives you a better ā€œexperienceā€ to test. But as you saidā€¦.your main machine is an iPad. Some plugins still donā€™t work with the Mac. Most donā€™t yet with the iPad. To test drive? Sure, why not. YMMV! :wink:

2 Likes

I am shocked how full featured the iPad app is. You could easily make it your only app.

1 Like

It seems likely the app will be generally available for iPad soon. You may want to hold off, if the $25 tier is a big deal for you.

1 Like

Thanks. I appreciate the insights. @MitchWagner Any idea when the iOS app will become publicly available. Iā€™m trying to decide how impatient I am. Lol. Thanks, all. I really appreciate the help.

Not a clue when it will be final. They talked about a staged beta, and theyā€™re in the final stage. And the beta on mobile is solid.

However theyā€™ve been in prerelease on the desktop for 1.5 years IIRC.

Itā€™s like the old days of google betas.

1 Like

Answering myself here a bit ā€” but someone might find this useful in the futureā€¦

I asked how others started using Obsidian, given their existing libraries. I never even got that far. And now, I plan on nuke-and-paving Obsidian, and starting again (after extracting/saving the few ā€œuniqueā€ files created solely inside my current Obsidian installation).

My reason, silly as it is, is that I waded in and installed/activated just about all the plugins ā€” along with the recommended user plugins ā€”at once, and then tweaked its appearance with skins, to the point where it looks amazing, but I have no idea how to use itā€¦ :grinning:

This is mainly due to my being pressed for time of late, and so not really familiarising myself with the built-in tutorial/manual, like I usually do. So Iā€™ve been grabbing quick views of YT videos here and there ā€” and, nothing on YT really works, or looks, like what I have installedā€¦

So, Iā€™m nuking ā€” and will start again with DT3 library indexing etc. in mind, and stay as vanilla as possible at first, until I understand the basics, before switching on the various plugins bit by bit, as they make senseā€¦.

So, slow and steady, as opposed to my initial approach that more resembled a dachshund in a butcher storeā€¦ :sunglasses:

3 Likes

+1 one for the vanilla method. IMHO, anything at this stage but vanilla serves no value until you learn the the app itself. When folks report ā€œbugsā€ in the Obsidian forum, first thing Mods request is that you disable plugins and test again. Wonder why? :wink:.

3 Likes

What about a combination? Keep the existing vault as your test playground and then build your new real one slowly. Test new plugins and options in the test vault first before deciding to make them part of your working systemm.

Iā€™ve got 3 Obsidian vaults, my real one, Oogie_Adversaria, my Test_Obsidian vault and I still have the LYT_Kit vault

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good idea I wouldnā€™t have thought aboutā€¦ But, to be clear, would I be able to have the 1 library with all plugins enabled, and skins applied ā€” and the other completely vanilla, i.e no skins/plugins enabled?

I.e., is Obsidianā€™s look (skins) & feel (plugins) tied to whatever vault/library is open?

1 Like