608: DEVONthink & New Apple Hardware

Did anyone else think it a bit odd when, at about 49 minutes in, @MacSparky mentioned zero-byte files blocking the sync process? He seemed to think nothing of it, got rid of them, and continued on his way.

This seemed odd to me in light of @OogieM’s well-documented data loss characterized by zero-byte files.

4 Likes

@ryanjamurphy has been rocking on the Obsidian frontlines for a while and has some nice thoughts on his website.

While it will quite possibly make for a nerdier-than-average-episode, I’m pretty convinced that having him on a MPU episode would be of great benefit for this community as a whole.

That said, I would rather have him on an updated version of the DTFG so we can take a look on his screen shared content.

4 Likes

@ldebritto @ChrisUpchurch Ha, kind of you to have confidence in me. For the record, though, I spend more time thinking about how the tools should work (and how we should work with the tools) than actually using them… :sweat_smile:

@karlnyhus I picked up on the same thing—I’m guessing David wasn’t blaming DEVONthink on the 0-byte files, but it’s possible that it was DEVONthink that caused the corruption. (I also suffered a few 0-byte files in that glitch. After restoring them from backup I have continued to use DT and not seen any more, for what it’s worth.)

3 Likes

YES… I thought the same … Interesting

@ryanjamurphy - I have always thought that may be the case too. - or at least its an OLD bug connected to DTTG/Sync etc… and it came to light with the update to Version 3 … I’d love to see if any instances of this bug appear with completely new installs …

I had a few files too - I cleaned them up and all as been good for a while

Nothing too special, @Robejazz — what I meant is that I can use DEVONthink to organize my materials any way I see fit. The stuff I’m obligated to share on Google Drive I put there. I don’t try to align the two in any way as in my teaching context I don’t manage the Google Drive folders—other people do, so I need to upload content according to their organizational strategies.

1 Like

What would you be trying to use it for? I find the iPadOS app to be useful for getting at synced data from the desktop, but the iPad app doesn’t do anywhere near the number of cool things the desktop version does.

I’ve used DEVONThink since late 2002 / early 2003 when a couple of my friends raved about it, but it wasn’t until late 2004 to early 2005 that I started using it heavily (then in 2006 I move to Yojimbo for a year or two for tagging and some other advantages, but came back with DTv2 and stayed).

I have one large (very large) database (I max out RAM and processor so it still runs smoothly - it is about 100k objects and 40GB in size) that searches and finds relevance across everything still. I have pulled in my notes directories to be part of DT since version 2 and this notes directory (most everything in the notes directory are markdown files) and also get searched. The notes directory is now my Obsidian vault with 4k to 5k files in it. The only thing I have separated is my food / recipe directory, which at times I have as its own database, but is now back folded in.

The amazing thing with the large database is that it works still, but more amazing are the relevant files that surface, which come from a lot of different directions and pull in ideas and concepts together that I wouldn’t have seen nor considered. This is the exact value Steven Johnson was writing about in 2005.

I have a lot of academic papers and journal articles in my DT, but also saved (in continuous PDF) anything of potential future interest. I have tech company / vendor service and product offerings covering many different years and iterations (this has been really helpful in expert witness work, where I can show all competitors products and all academic papers around certain domains for patent and trade secret discovery sessions (for things I’ve had long interest in). I also have a lot of cannonical pages from the web that are now long gone, which wikipedia still points to and the WayBack Machine doesn’t have.

For DT, it is a grab and hold onto, then search as needed, but also it tracks were I have something stored so I can link it in research and other writings.

6 Likes

Thanks for your perspective. I’m hoping to use it for academic research as well as teaching materials. Right now, I’m working exclusively off my ipad, but it sounds like to really get the full use out of DEVONthink I’d really need a Mac.

1 Like

Unfortunately, most of those you’ve allowed yourself to be influenced by are bloggers, diarists, forum posters, developers, scripters, automators, and even some lawyers. Plain text is king and their tools reflect that.

Nope, I’m a diarist, a forum poster, and a retired programmer. Plain text is king. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

FWIW, good WYSIWYG solutions over the top of markdown seem really effective at this without losing the long-term reliability of markdown.

A recent update to an Obsidian plugin for WYSIWYG looks like this, for instance: (you can only look at that link in Discord, unfortunately)

1 Like

I just want to add a note to this. DT may have some native support for certain formats, but it’s not really intended to be the end-all be-all editor for your data. It’s perfectly fine to drop Pages documents into DT, and it’ll be able to search them (although, apparently, not quickly highlight results).

For mixed media, it’s worth noting that if they don’t need to be together in the same document, you could easily store the images and text in the same DT folder / group. If you need to store actual formatted documents, you may find yourself doing best picking a format that works for you and just allowing DT to index it for search purposes.

1 Like

The reason I split is so that I can just close some of them. I have a few I hardly ever use, almost archives really. I find that useful though I am not sure how psychological that is if you know what I mean. I have to say I seem to be just putting stuff in there and finding it via Houdah Spot or DEVONthink 3 search all the time, I use Trickster too.
More like the mountains of journals, off prints etc one used to have on one’s desk but “knew” somehow were things were. That is really why I like DEVONthink 3 it has come to resemble my analogue workflow, but with the intelligence, as it were, in the machine. :shushing_face:

1 Like

I’m loving the field guide and learning so much.
I am stuck on two points however; how to rename a file with a reference date from within the file (eg tax year) and then how to file that document into a sub folder (group) (eg: 2021, 2020 etc).
I know how to do this in Hazel thanks to that Field Guide but an stuck here Any guidance is most welcome.

David was on another podcast, iPad Pros, to talk about the iPad and about DT and the field guide. Good discussion! Some of the nuanced decision-making around metadata I thought especially complemented this episode and the field guide.

2 Likes