638: A Mac Setup Consulting Company

2 Likes

About the screenshots question: As a technical writer screenshots are essential to me. I use SnagIt for taking screenshots and marking them up with lines, arrows, and text boxes. I then save the image to a PNG. This is a lot more organized than using InDesign or Word (which would be total chaos).

2 Likes

I appreciated the conversation around Electron apps, and I understand that since 1P is a sponsor (and a well-used app!), but I think some of the frustration around that was glossed over. Sure, itā€™s probably fine as it is especially since itā€™s not running all the time, but 1P built their business and their system on the backs of individual Mac users with great, beautiful, and solid software.

Now that they have (I assume?) VC money and want to make a push into enterprise, theyā€™ve abandoned a single-use license for a subscription service, and theyā€™re re-writing their new app to be fully cross platform instead of native to each? I get it; itā€™s a business, and theyā€™re not a plucky, indie Mac upstart anymore, but in a world and an environment where weā€™re accustomed to see Mac apps be Mac-assed Mac apps, itā€™s a bummer to see and know that what was once a Mac-assed Mac app is now just another piece of corporate subscription software.

7 Likes

I use screen shots often for my expert witness work. I used to OCR doucments to take excerpts of them, but Iā€™ve found it to be better to insert images of the exact content Iā€™m referencing.

I have ā€œscreenshotā€ button set up on my stream deck, and CleanShot X saves the selected area to the clipboard for painless pasting into my report.

2 Likes

I use screenshots on my Mac much more now that Iā€™ve got a blog. Prior to that, it was using the ā€œsnippingā€ tool on my work PC or a screen grab on my iPhone.

I think @ismh may have mentioned that Craft is a Catalyst app in an earlier episode. I had no idea, and itā€™s one of my favorite apps so Iā€™m reminded that I should keep an open mind and check apps out regardless of how theyā€™re built.

4 Likes

In a complete aside @Joe_M i love the quote boxes you use on on your blog. How do you make these? If you donā€™t mind me asking.

Nick

Thank you @Nick I use Readwise to manage highlights and quotes from books and other sources, and the app offers the ability to export them in graphical formats. I do some tinkering on the metadata to quotes that arenā€™t assigned to a book because they generally wonā€™t have any book covers or artwork associated with them.

I wrote about how I use Readwise here, which may offer additional helpful notes. Hope this is helpful, and thanks for checking out the blog!

1 Like

On the screenshots question. I consider myself at the ā€˜low endā€™ of the power user spectrum but use them quite a bit. I really use them as a kind of notetaker. Often on iPhone to note personnel or books cited in a podcast using the simple ā€˜two buttonā€™ click. They go into photos and I access them from there when back on my MacBook Pro. I do similar things there too.
I find screenshots very useful.

1 Like

Stephen made a good point that the Electcron platform makes it easier to bring applications to the Mac, who might choose otherwise.

But the thing they didnā€™t point out was that a lot of these Electron apps (all of them?) donā€™t have automation or scripting support.

Hey David, have you tried Shapr3D for CAD work? Itā€™s an iPad-first, Pencil-driven CAD app that is a joy to work with for a complete amateur like me. Maybe itā€™ll work for you too!

A note on the pricing: I have it on a student licence which is free, but I think itā€™s about 400 bucks a year. Not really viable for a lot of hobbyists.

I take a screenshots every day and for all kinds of reasons, but what I really like is the dropbox integration. Besides having a URL in my clipboard for a screen as soon as I take it, they all get pulled into one folder. I have thousands of screen grabs going back ten years, and theyā€™re kind of a diary.

On this day in 2014 I was sharing a Keyboard Maestro recipe, in 2015 advertising an upcoming show at the Bridgetown comedy festival, 2016 editing the movie Diani & Devine Meet the Apocalypse (on Amazon now!), 2017 sharing a new feature in After Effects, 2018 coming up with a logo for a panel show about words & language, 2020 saving a want ad for the job I had that summer with Piff, and in 2021 winning a contest for a time lapse drawing of Boba Fett.

I didnā€™t expect flipping through May 4ths to turn into a resume, but I feel like it proves my point and makes me feel good about storing up nearly 2GB of screenshots.

2 Likes

The screenshots comments were the reason I finally signed up for the forum. Since Covid Iā€™ve sat through many more webinars and online presentations than ever. I think thatā€™s the case for all of us. During one of these sessions, Iā€™ll set my note taking app of choice (I use Notes) on half the screen and Zoom etc on the the other half. IF thereā€™s a slide of particular interest I grab the slide with the cmd shift 4 combo and just clip the slide. Grab it off the holding point in the corner and drag it to my notes on the presentation. Just thought Iā€™d share. ā€¦ Glad to get the information on Electron as well. Iā€™d heard it for a couple years but no idea (never looked it up). Thanks for the great work.

5 Likes

Welcome! Thatā€™s one of my primary uses tooā€¦ itā€™s really convenient, rather than rapidly copying lists (and Appleā€™s ability to quickly OCR an image means the text is available too if necessary).

I also screenshot Zoom meeting participants - a handy aide memoir of who was there and helping me if I have a subsequent physical meetup to remember who on earth they are! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you - I shall go and read.

Great blog

Nick

1 Like