662: Navigating Apple Maps

IMO, Waze has the best real time traffic info, at least in the US. I switch between Apple Maps and Google Maps for navigation depending on where I’m going.

Both are good but Google has more features in more locations, IMO. Whichever I choose I frequently keep Waze running at the same time for traffic info. And when I just want traffic info I only run Waze.

More than once Waze has alerted me to a problem just in time to take an exit, etc. while Apple’s warning came too late. YMMV

1 Like

Sygic is, at least in Germany, a kind of a nightmare.
The navigation is more or less useless. It offers, with the setting on “Fastest Route” routings partly with the double amount of distance and/or time, then you would need for the really quickest route.
I had it once, when I used it to drive thru Munich, that it guided me thru very small streets, while the Mainstreets were running parallel, and without any traffic congestions on it, as I figured out later.
It costs me on that day almost 30 Minutes more, for an normally 45 Minutes drive, and I have a couple of examples like that.
A lot of them reported to Sygic, without any useful response, or any changes on the problems.
I stopped using it, and normally use now TomTom Go for the Car navigation, Apple Maps for walking in a city, and Kommot and BikeMap for bicycling.

When driving around parts of Bavaria for work I’ve found Sygic to be fine.
In the UK with traffic it’s far better than both google / apple maps.

Imma just put this right here.

Fire chief warns drivers not to use Apple Maps on eastbound I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass

“The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) started a new phase of construction on a project near Easton between milepost 67 to 71 and routed the eastbound lanes of I-90 into the westbound lanes. However, Apple Maps shows the eastbound lanes of I-90 are closed and rerouting drivers off the interstate at exit 62, which Snoqualmie Pass Fire and Rescue Chief Jay Wiseman said will take drivers through a residential neighborhood and onto a Forest Service Road.”

It also gave me wrong hours for businesses multiple times during a trip to a place you’d think it would get right (Bend, Oregon).

This is why my policy with Apple Maps is now always “trust but verify.”

It’s just a guess but a story about Apple Maps screwing up might get more clicks. I use both Apple Maps and Google maps and neither is perfect. I’ve learned to make allowances when there are minor problems.