673: Apple's New Freeform App

I created a blue box, wrote on it, when I then moved it the box moved but the text didn’t, moved it back and the thought that I could just circle it with the select tool and then click inside and get the option to merge them. No such luck. On the iPad it said u had to select the box w one finger then tap on the text with the other finger. Plz tell me that isn’t the only way. If it is it’s way to clumsy to be of use.

I spoke to a 2nd Level at Apple support and they were just reading from the manual and couldn’t understand as they were watching me try and do it while it wasn’t working. Sad.

It’s pretty easy, just select both then tap and hold to get the small contextual menu. You’ll see three little rectangles on the left that signify 3 objects, select that and you’ll see an option to group them. Then move as you need. If you’re using a trackpad another option for selecting is to drag around the 2 objects then one finger tap the trackpad to get the contextual menu, then use the same button to group.

If you’ve used any of the iWork apps: Pages, Keynote, Numbers, it’s nearly identical to working with multiple objects in those apps.

I think I’m getting too old for this! :rofl:

2 Likes

I should’ve specified that I was referring to the iPad version. For me to get it to work, I first have to zoom in then press and hold on one of the objects and then tap the other object to get the option to group.

They have a selection tool And I’m not quite sure why I can’t just use it draw a circle around the two objects as they are and then tap in the center with the Apple Pencil and get the option to group.

A YouTube video mentioned that you may have to use your finger instead of the Apple Pencil

It just seems that they’re making it harder than it needs to be.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, I knew you meant iPad. I didn’t know if you sometimes might use a keyboard/trackpad. I use my iPad with a keyboard/trackpad at least 50% of the time and in that situation the trackpad can be used. Oh, and as with other apps, holding the shift key allows for multiple selections either with finger taps or trackpad.

Freeform and the other iWork apps treat drawing objects made with the pencil separately from other objects which is why the selection tool in the Pencil Kit tools doesn’t work on shapes. And yeah, you might think that the Pencil should/could work to draw around a group of objects to select them but it just moves the whole canvas around as you’ve discovered.

A last thing I would add about making multiple selections on the iPad when using your fingers, I found it tricky at first but over time improved. Same for making multiple selections in the Files app or any list view in an app like, say, Mail, I think it’s just one of those things that requires a bit of extra thought the first few times but then becomes second nature like typing.

I have used Omni apps for years. I like them and they are very powerful. I am fortunate that I purchased my versions at a reasonable price and they continue to work. However, as I have now retired and do not use them commercially, they would be prohibitively expensive to replace if my current versions are made obsolete.
Although not as powerful, there are affordable alternatives that meet my reduced needs.

This is not specifically related to episode 627, but in regards to Freeform in general, I wish Apple updated it for iPadOS 17. Seems like the sort of app that could use some work. It continues to be laggy in use for me with an Apple Pencil. I don’t know if it’s because my 10.5” iPad is old, but that iPad continues to be supported, and I see no reason to buy another to test Freeform.