681: Cloudy with a Chance of Beachballs

One of my holdups had been lack of folders, but I realized I could create one Secure Note called “Tax Returns,” and just attach all my pdf tax returns to that one Secure Note file as attachments. Kind of like a folder, and that way my items view is not as cluttered. I did discover just now that attachments like this (attached to an item) are not viewable when logged into 1Password on a browser, although that feature seems to be in the eventual works.

This wouldn’t be a great system if I was sending tons of things in and out, sending links, etc. But, I am basically NOT doing that with my tax stuff. So, thank you for pointing out the obvious solution starting me in the face (even though figuring out how to use Cryptomator, learning how to make an encrypted DMG, learning about zero-knowledge encryption) was fun too! Just not too much of a need for it, I guess. Solutions in search of a problem.

1 Like

One of the “features” I’ve experienced multiple times with iCloud Messages is that if I delete a message on one device with iCloud Messages enabled it fails to delete on my other devices, which also have iCloud Messages enabled.

I’ve tried Apple’s solution of turning off iCloud messages, rebooting the device, then logging back on (with all devices), and the behavior just comes back again and I have to delete the same message in multiple locations. It’s a major pain in the ass.

Is it just me, or do others have this problem? If so, has anyone found a permanent solution?

1 Like

I don’t recall having your exact problem. I have noticed if my Mac has been powered down it frequently fails to download messages that were sent/received while it was offline. "Apple’s solution of . . . " occasionally helps.

Messages are stored in a SQLite database on each device. My guess is one or more devices occasionally fails to sync. Apple Notes also uses a SQLite database and has a history of similar problems.

Some people have problems, some don’t. No one seems to know why. Sorry.

1 Like