685: Fighting Digital Distractions

Responded to the wrong post; sorry

I can, and my Macs play a critical role in that.

I do know as a former delivery driver that using turn-by-turn GPS is far less effective, for me, in learning a new route than how I used to do it: by using a map (printed or digital) and memorizing or writing out the directions (in longhand or on a computer). The difference has nothing to do with distractions or choice of technology. It’s all about how active or passive a role I take in the process of getting my posterior from Point A to Point B. If I’m some Ancient Tribal Guy who just follows around after any other Ancient Tribal Guy who bothered to do the work of learning the route, I ain’t gonna learn that route nearly as efficiently.

By the same token, I have found that my focus, and my ability to receive input and turn it into lasting knowledge, is far, far more dependent on my own effort, persistence, and discipline than on my choice of technology.

2 Likes

I received much my formal education when many/most classrooms weren’t air conditioned. From the time I leaned to read until I was struggling with cost accounting I and my fellow students had to deal with all kinds of distractions that would come through an open window in an urban area. So far I haven’t found any digital distractions that can match what we used to deal with every day.

2 Likes

If you want to use pen or pencil and are left-handed, don’t feel like you’re doin’ it rong if you have an over-hook or non-standard grip. Tilting the paper, rather than your hand.

If you’re right-dominant but cramp, a different writing implement might help.

A gel pen; less effort needed to propel it across the page.

A thick-bodied pen, like the Pilot Dr. Grip, or a “jumbo” pencil with soft lead (B or 1 rather than HB or 2).

@MacSparky the solution for the web cam/gaff tape problem comes from a company you’re already using in your setup: Elgato. The Elgato Multi Mount bolts to the back of the desk and then you attach either their Flex Arm or Solid Arm to extend the camera forward, above your monitor. I have three of these on my desk: one holding a Canon M200 connected to a CamLink 4K and two with Elgato Key Light Airs.

I just got the Unpluq tag which was newly released for iOS and so far it’s greatly reduced my screentime. It’s an NFC based tag that lock your apps and connects to screentime. Check out unpluq.com. Or you can also check my review:
How Unpluq broke my phone addiction! - YouTube

2 Likes

Want to avoid distractions? The Flip phone may be your answer…

ps. Minus.app for macOS seems built for this. I have it set to aggressively stop distractions and it includes everything needed for real human-level focus - making other apps and solutions feel toyish. https://minus.app

Alas, I’m not on Ventura. Are you using the free version or the subscription?