687: Revisiting Contacts and Calendars

Didn’t know that. Was worth a shot but all it does is open my devonthink to go and copy the text.

For now cardhop does it and hopefully will change with next os.

1 Like

You may be right but I’m not sure what qualifies as simple. As Head of School (think CEO), I have 200+ employees, 940 students, six senior leadership team members reporting to me plus my EA, a board of trustees to manage, 800+ parents, a $75M facility, and everything that goes with the job, including academic programming, HR, legal, finance and operations, campus and cyber security, IT department (including the 1:1 laptop/iPad program) athletics, strategic planning, advancement, marketing, enrollment, discipline, college and social emotional counseling, health services, community relations, more communications, presentations, and events than I can count, and more. I also teach a graduate level course in School Business Management.

I deal with people’s children, money, and religion. How complicated could it be? What could possibly go wrong? :rofl:

I am able to lead and manage this with Reminders and two calendars. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

…and an incredible executive assistant, if I recall correctly! That’s what most of us are compensating for missing.

3 Likes

That’s fair and a good reminder. I sometimes take that for granted. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Speaking of calendars…

I have a normal routine of printing to PDF my calendar for the last month in Month view and also in list view. This is after having to delete a bunch of old calendars because of hitting the limits in events.

It’s first of the month and I tried to do that on my new Ventura Mac Mini. Month view works just fine. List view however, consistently crashes the Calendar app. Tried under safe mode and it also crashes there.

1 day can be printed but not the whole month.

Can anyone do a print in list out of Ventura’s calendar?

I just tried it. The calendar app crashed on my M1 Max MBP, Ventura 13.3.1 (a). I assume this must be a bug.

1 Like

Thanks for testing and verifying it’s not just me.

1 Like

Yep, same here. Trying to print 30 days in List view causes Calendar and Contacts to spike CPU use in Activity Monitor and then Calendar crashes. That’s 100% a bug.

1 Like

Thanks @OogieM ! I’d never heard of a Farley File but your post here has sent me down an interesting rabbit hole!!

1 Like

Is this what you mean? Apple Calendar - Set View to “List”; Set start and end date. Then “Continue” – > " Save to pdf". On my example even though it states “12 days will be printed”, the entire month prints. Tried this in Ventura and Sonoma; worked fine on both. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your needs.

Do you have any calendars that are only on your mac?

I don’t use iCloud for calendars at all so all my calendars normally live on only 1 machine.

Here’s what I try that crashes. Have also tried with only 1 calendar and down to as few as 14 13 days and it crashes

have also tried in Safe mode, still crashes.

Exported na calendar archive, loadedit onto another machine also running Ventura and same resuts.

Have tried in a differnet use with only 1 calendar and same results.

On your example, try using an end date instead of after 31 days.

Same result, crash

with a calendar that is only on your mac not a standard included ones

I made a calendar only on the Mac. I turned off iCloud calendars. It printed to pdf. Here is what I got. Maybe it’s not the output that you wanted. Also, maybe I’m doing something wrong as others have demonstrated the same error that you got.

Also, at what point does your crash?

I’m running Ventura 13.4 for these tests.

Just after the message “Calculating Layout” comes up.

On my Mac “calculating layout” goes by so fast as soon as I click “Continue”, I had to try a few times to really see the dialog box. I found this on the Apple Community: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254666567

I know it’s of no use to you because there was no solution, but like others above have noted, “It’s not just you”. If I can figure out something I’ll let you know. Good luck. Please post if you find a solution. Good luck.

So it seems like overall the options are Contacts, Cardhop, and BusyContacts? If so, that’s not encouraging. I’ve been using Cardhop for a while, and I’ve had countless issues. Constant app crashes, fighting the interface when creating new contacts, etc.

Are there any other iOS/macOS options worth considering?

One of my concerns about using extra fields such as birthdays and anniversaries and especially the notes field in contacts is trying to work out what data is taken from services you link to your contacts such as Whatsapp, Facebook/Messenger, etc.

Does anyone know if these apps harvest all contact data available or only name, phone and email?

Here’s what they have to say about contacts.

About contact upload | WhatsApp Help Center

1 Like