689: Apple-sized Asteroids

I’ve been impressed by Obsidian on mobile. It’s a little slow to start up first time, but I find - given the amount of functionality - it’s relatively easy to navigate.

At the moment I’m using EagleFiler and deep links for non-markdown files. There is an attraction to having all resources in one place, held together by notes. My biggest challenge is the lack of search inside non-markdown files within Obsidian, although with a better manually created index maybe that wouldn’t be such an issue.

1 Like

Obsidian is immune to the temptation to use it for everything because it’s just a nested series of folders in the Finder. So go ahead and use it for everything!

If I need to search the contents of documents inside my Obsidian vault, I just use Houdahspot for that. I often need to open or save Word documents, and I use the Finder for that. And I’m planning to index my Obsidian vault with DevonThink real soon now.

One of Obsidian’s great strenths is that it’s just nested folders in the file manager. You often hear that discussed in terms of futureproofing, and it’s good for that, but that also means you can work with your Obsidian documents outside of Obsidian, if you like. You just need to remember to use Obsidian itself to move or rename documents. That last bit can sometimes be a bit inconvenient, but Obsidian is getting better at file management.

Similarly, for task management, I’ve started using a hybrid system of Obsidian and Things, inspired by a video manifesto by Carl Pullein. I’m finding that using a task manager for projects is too fussy—sometimes I just need and want a simple list of things to do in Project X, and then my task manager just contains one task for that project: “Work on project X.” I don’t use a task manager plugin for Obsidian. Just a simple bullet list of tasks in a project, where that is helpful.

3 Likes

Craft recently granted me a year educational discount. I used this link. I think it took around three weeks for them to send the license, and I applied as faculty and sent a scan of my photo id.

Thanks, I tried again. We’ll see.

Wipe off with a damp (not wet) cloth. Keep liquids (including beverages) far away from the keyboard! Read this: How to clean your Apple products

1 Like

Regarding version control, not specifically for lawyers but anyone who writes for a living, I recommend Fossil.

1 Like

A couple of months ago, Cal Newport (author and computer science professor at Georgetown) talked on his podcast about the “asteroid” threatening much of the computer industry, particularly hardware manufacturers. More quickly than we might expect, the infrastructure will exist to do almost everything in the cloud. The only processing done on our devices will be for transferring data over the network and displaying the screen. (plus things like taking pictures and shining the flashlight) I think he was talking only 10 to 15 years, not many decades.

2 Likes

Latency will be an issue. And I think folks like Newport are underestimating how difficult that kind of wireless connectivity will be to implement.

Hearing this for 10 years now.

1 Like

I checked out Cal Newport’s podcast after reading @rbanks88 post. In episode 237 he briefly speaks to the future of personal electronics. He expects augmented reality glasses will eventually replace “many devices with their own processor and screen”. And acknowledges this will need a “low latency high bandwidth connection” and that it will take some years to become a reality. I’d bet money that this could be common within the next 20 years, but not that I’ll be around to pay off if it doesn’t. :wink:

In the 90’s I was running windows servers remotely and providing engineering drawings to factories as far away as China and Thailand over 56K leased lines. Now we’ve just finished running the world for a few years from our “kitchens”. The pace of change is accelerating.

SpaceX and a handful of other companies are working on Low-Earth Orbit Satellite internet projects. Who knows what kind of conductivity we may have in another 13 years?

1 Like

When the hosts talk about the iPad mini in this episode, it’s all glowing positives. The iPad mini is the darling of the Apple tech crowd, and no one seems to want to talk about the negatives.

I bought an iPad mini when it was released and wanted to like and use it, but I eventually sold it and went back to using my 11" iPad Pro. Here’s the reason why.

2 Likes

Why don’t you try out the free trial for now just to play around, or the free version? Go to Craft.

I’ve been playing with ChatGPT more in the past couple of days, and am impressed by its finally having cracked the natural language processing barrier. AI is an asteroid that could do a lot of damage to Apple. Imagine if you could walk around with wireless earbuds in your ears at all times, interacting with your phone in natural language, in volumes barely above a whisper.

Those devices might be manufactured by Apple, but according to a report on The Information, Apple is fumbling AI badly.

Until AR glasses, that are indistinguishable from regular eyewear, becomes available that would be my preferred way of using AI. Today when I’m running errands, etc. I wear a single airpod so I can leave my phone in my pocket and still receive notifications. I prefer this to switching to reading glasses and looking at my apple watch.

1 Like

@ismh, no reason to apologize for “bouncing off” of Obsidian. A lot of us have taken a taste and responded with a “no thank you.”

It’s ugly, doesn’t act like a Mac program, is difficult, has no collaboration features, and doesn’t handle any kind of files well except markdown. I’ve noticed @MacSparky has said that it’s taking him much longer to produce the Obsidian Field Guide than he thought it would because its such a difficult app.

The whole “which app is the most powerful” discussion is a waste of time. It doesn’t matter which is the most powerful, it only matters if an app has the features that are important to you and your workflow.

2 Likes