69: The Intentional Life

As someone working for the man rather than a Free Agent like @mikeschmitz and @MacSparky, travel is a bit different for me.

If it’s a personal trip I feel like my employer isn’t really entitled to my time. Often I travel to places where internet connectivity is uncertain or non-existent, so I’ll set up an autoresponder on my email and tell folks ahead of time that I’ll be out of reach. Even if I do have connectivity, I won’t check my work email very often and would respond only to the direist of emergencies. Anything that can wait, will.

For work travel, I do feel obligated to check email regularly and get done what I can. That said, I generally don’t plan that I’ll accomplish anything while I’m traveling unless it’s absolutely necessary. Any work I get done is just gravy.

1 Like

Since this episode was released I’ve been thinking about the definition of intentionality. To me, the core element of intentionality is making decisions that align with my values and priorities. It doesn’t necessarily imply a lack of spontaneity, though I personally find it’s easier if I plan ahead.

Finally listened to this.

Intentional life means I am doing what I want to do, when I want to do it, to achieve the results I want to see to the best of my ability.

Sidewise Look

“Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do.”

― Thomas Aquinas