706: Media Management with Casey Liss

I really enjoyed the show. I had no idea about the channels app or the naming convention for Plex files. I have been running a Plex server for our family for years and never knew the naming convention or about the channels app. I also enjoyed the talk about Sonos. Does anyone know the package or setup Casey Liss has?

To make this work would need to do split tunnel at a family members house. (Does tailscale support split tunnel?)

Practically speaking while this would be safer than reverse proxy somewhat, I think anyone capable of this would already be capable of a basic RP and firewall which allows much easier install for family members and still reasonably safe (more so with a cloud flare tunnel or VPS thrown in).

I struggle with family when I install the app and tell them to start Apple TV and load infuse, I can only imagine attempting to get them to run a split tunnel VPN (because there is no way they would run a full tailscale on a separate pc only when streaming and then off when watching a movie). Lol

Pretty sure for the living room he has the surround sound set with arc and the sub. Which basically means sound bar + 2 rears + sub. Really any combo of those you like that fits within your budget and you are in good shape!

1 Like

When I first started with Plex it didn’t require an account and didn’t connect with their server. It was entirely local and I was unhappy when it required connecting to them. However its offerings of much improved metadata and easier ability to access away from home (I used to use a local VPN server to accomplish this) has made me a total supporter with a lifetime subscription.

1 Like