726: Journaling Update: Apple’s New App, Day One Updates & More

I use the NotePlan app on my Mac and iPhone to create a Daily Note with lots of different stuff, including a few images that I’ve dragged in. I also create supporting notes and personal project notes there, too, and keep a list of personal tasks. It is the journaling app I wish I had decades ago.

1 Like

I submitted this as a feature request on the Obsidian Forum last month, but so far it hasn’t gotten even a single like. Please feel free to add yours!

While E2EE is more important for most users and purposes as long as the local drive is fully encrypted, I’d welcome this additional layer of security for sensitive notes.

If by “recording function” you mean dictating into it and having the speech transcribed, that IS built into the Apple Journal App. The dictation function is built into iOS, iPadOS, and macOS.

How do you do that? There’s a sound recording button on Journal’s keyboard toolbar, but it seems to just record your voice, not transcribe it to text.

On the bottom right of the iPhone display while in the Joural App, there is a microphone icon. Tap on it and start talking, it transcribes your voice into text as you speak. (At least that’s how it works for me).

3 Likes

Thanks! I should have looked it up. I hadn’t enabled it in the keyboard settings. It’s not something I’d be likely to use much, I was just curious.

Ah yes, I forgot it was something that needed to be enabled. Thanks for the reminder!

I’ve used dictation more and more over the last year or so. I find it’s a lot faster than writing and it’s easier for me to get my unedited thoughts down when I dictate than when I write (when I do more editing). The transcription is very accurate and if it’s just for my consumption I typically don’t do a lot of post-dictation editing. As long as I can figure out what I was saying I’m OK with some errors.