A Tribute to Dark Sky

Dark Sky was my favorite weather app. I loved the concept of having very localized information about weather and it seemed to give me mostly accurate reports. I really appreciated the interface and how intuitive it was for me to see the forecast. The radar map was useful to determine which direction storms were headed. I’m glad that apple bought it but just wish we could keep it going.

5 Likes

Apple’s new weather app is an impressive collection of data. But it’s not as accurate as Dark Sky was in predicting when the rain or snow would start and stop.

3 Likes

Not an expert on this topic, but I’m confused. Didn’t they bake Dark Sky into the weather app? Shouldn’t it be predicting the same thing?

As I recall Apple purchased DS and hired the team that created it. I don’t know what, if anything, has changed other than the display. But now I sometimes get messages like ‘the rain will be ending in 20 minutes’ on sunny days.

I remember the first time Dark Sky impressed me. I was waiting for a meeting to start and was sitting with my back to a floor to ceiling glass wall when my iPhone beeped. My executive and two others looked at me and I said something like “my new app says it will rain in 10 minutes”.

Ten minutes later everyone looked past me and then at their watches. I turned around and it was raining. :grinning:

3 Likes

A lot of Dark Sky is now in the iOS 16/Ventura Weather app: How Dark Sky users can use the Apple Weather app - Apple Support

Other features are now in Apple Weather’s API, which can be used by third-party apps.

1 Like

It’s truly a sad day. I had been using Dark Sky for such a long time. A couple of months ago, I put the Apple weather app on my phone/ipad to get used to it but the Dark Sky display is/was so much better. I used it to the very end. And now I don’t know what to do except be stuck with the stock app.

2 Likes

Weather guessers are in the dark ages.

NO weather app I’ve ever tried or seen can handle our area, where what we see on our mesa, less than 3 miles from town is VASTLY different from downtown and even more dramatic is the difference between us, here on Garvin vs on Juniper 1. We’re at 6210 elevation but down valley, Juniper is at 6030 elevation but up valley.

Recent example, we had rain, but Juniper got 4 inches of snow.

I’m a better predictor of wat we will get by looking out the window than any official forecast.

1 Like

I’ve always suspected that NOAA doesn’t have windows in their buildings.

1 Like

My understanding was that most, if not all, of the weather apps out there use NOAA data.

If the weather station is in town, of course it won’t be accurate for your location if your weather patterns are different.

Could be. I only recently learned of other forecast models that are available. Some are global, others are regional, and I’ve learned I’d be a lousy weatherman.

The nearest official weather station is 75 miles away.

The problem is that the weather stations are few and far betweena nd all depends on NOAA data and NOAA forecasters and they are woefully inaccurate.

I appreciated seeing this post today. I never thought I’d mourn the loss of a weather app but there was just something about the UI/UX of Dark Sky that delighted me every time I opened it. That was really the differentiator for me. Glad to know I wasn’t alone::point_down:

I was really holding out hope that Apple would steal more design elements from the app… oh well, so it goes, I’m sure another app will come along and delight :slight_smile: - thanks Dark Sky!!

What was Dark Sky’s secret sauce?

“The radar map was the forecast . . . Dark Sky simply monitored changes to the shape, size, speed, and direction of shapes on a radar map and fast-forwarded those images. “It wasn’t meteorology,” Blum said. “It was just graphics practice.””

The World’s Best Terrible Weather App

Hat’s off to Upgrade podcast episode 440 for linking to this story.

Now that I know how Dark Sky worked I’ve stopped looking for a replacement. My local CBS affiliate does a great job of telling me what to expect each day. But I have nothing to tell me to wait 30 minutes to start my daily walk. :cry:

1 Like

One thing to check, and I mention this because it happened to me, is to make sure the severe weather and next-hour precipitation is only on for your current location. You can optionally turn it on for any/all locations you have added to the app, which can result in the behavior you describe.

1 Like

Thanks, I had both on initially but I’ve turned off next hour. I didn’t find those alerts very helpful.

SnowFlake Weather on my iPhone is not too shabby. Same folks who provide weather forecasts to iStat Menus users.

1 Like

I realize that there are reasons for this that seem to be rooted in definitions of terms, but I’ve always loved how the weather forecast can say “40% chance of rain this afternoon” while it’s raining, and report a “high” that’s lower than the current temperature. :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, Carrot Weather says short-term precipitation data is either available or an option for each of the highlighted weather sources available in the iOS app:

1 Like

That’s pretty cool that it has a lot of input options

1 Like