ABBYY FineReader

Just a heads up. ABBYY FineReader has been updated for Big Sur.

I’ve been using it for scanning for a long time, and I have been beta testing since last year.

It’s also had a facelift on iOS. It’s my go to for OCR, I’ve not found anything better (and I have a Creative Cloud subscription that includes Acrobat, which many claim is the best).

ABBYY have really nailed it recently with improvements in their algorithms and the software is well designed (IMHO).

4 Likes

How do you know it has M1 support? I see nothing on the website about this, including this PDF. Is it really a universal app, or just using rosetta emulation mode?

So I bought this and can confirm that it is NOT a universal app, but just offers support via rosetta emulation mode…

I’ve not tried the version on their website, I’m using their current beta which is a universal app.

They have just updated the public version, and I presumed that it would be with the universal app, they must be rolling out the public M1 version later - sorry for not spotting this.

I was invited into the beta program when Big Sur came out.

EDIT: I’ve updated the original post so no one else makes this mistake.

@Rob_Polding How is the new version’s support for automation? E.g.

1. “Hot folders”
  2. AppleScript
  3. Automator actions
  4. Anything else?
1 Like

I’ve never used it for automation, so I can’t say. I mainly use it for scanning and occasionally when I get a document without OCR. But I always just open the app. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Continued support for AppleScript or some other way to automate the application is important (to me at least), as that’s about the only way I use FineReader.