Affinity - Crap or awesome?

Is there a way to tag or “star” photos in FileLoupe?

Sadly, no tagging or starring. Nothing like the starring or rating photos in Lightroom. FileLoupe is not a digital asset manager (DAM). You can flag photos but that is only for making a temporary group with very limited available actions. There is almost nothing you can do to a photo that will “stick”. It really is intended just as a viewer.

For those interested, the Affinity products will be on sale on Black Friday. Here is the email I received:

It’s almost time…
Our Black Friday Event returns soon, with 30% off EVERYTHING, including all apps, add-ons, workbooks and more.
It’s the perfect time to top-up your Affinity collection, so set yourself a reminder so you don’t miss out.

2 Likes

Just came here to say the very same thing :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

1 Like

Just bought all the Affinity apps and their workbooks and feel like they are worth it at their “full” prices. If they go on sale, I don’t know how one could resist.

1 Like

I found the learning curve for Affinity Photo for the Mac and I find the learning curve to be rather outrageous ie needlessly complicated.

It’s really interesting how different people find software. I found the opposite and affinity pretty much clicked when I picked it up.

One key feature for me is that affinity outputs SVGs which Photoshop no longer does.

3 Likes

It truly is. I tried to get my $ back from Apple. LOL! Are you aware of any guides or manuals that might be available, preferably in book form? I use to read manuals cover to cover. Now practically no one writes them and they are usually online which I find harder to find info.

You can find all the workbooks here for Affinity apps. The Affinity Store – Award-winning Apps, Resources & More

2 Likes

Essentially what @wiredfractal said. I also find searching online for particular issues mostly yields some helpful results or how to do something.

2 Likes

They also have a huge library of “how-to” video content right on the Affinity site.

3 Likes

There are two less positive additional remarks that I forgot to mention about my use cases:

1. Launching the apps on Mac takes ages. About 10 times longer than on iPad or Windows and can be as long as 30 seconds or more.
  2. The apps use about 2 - 3 times the memory on Mac than they on Windows or apps like Sketch and Pixelmator.

Wow, 30 seconds? They fire up for me in 3-4 seconds each. Is there something that triggers the long launch times, in your experience? Is it just when opening a huge file?

8 seconds, extra time for me to click ‘allow’ for little snitch :slight_smile:

1 Like

When launching it a second time it is faster, but after a reboot of the Mac it is really dramatic. Both on Intel and M1 Pro, with Intel being the worst.

1 Like

Hope its not a hijack to ask how Affinity is v Pixelmator?

1 Like

Pixelmator Pro is not bad. Very Mac-like. Good for beginner. Much prefer the Affinity apps. Lots more room to grow and much broader ecosystem with available Designer and Publisher apps.

1 Like

That’s what I found too. Coming from Photoshop, I found Affinity to be a better set of tools.

The other wrinkle that I experienced is that I’d played with Pixelmator, and when they released Pro it wasn’t a “here’s a bunch of extra features” - it was “here’s a whole new app to learn”. Many things didn’t work the same way at all, so I felt like I was starting over. Affinity was the more stable option for me. :slight_smile:

When I was using Lightroom, I almost never took a RAW photo into PhotoShop for further edits. Affinity Photo flips that a bit and seems to encourage me to clean up the exposure and possibly make a few other changes to my RAW photos, but then “develop” the photo and move on to the main event, the Photo Persona where most editing is intended to take place.

2 Likes

I split my time roughly evenly between Affinity Photo and Pixelmator Pro. Both are great apps and productive in different ways. If you need a robust photo-editing workflow and/or are looking for a drop-in Photoshop replacement, you should definitely choose Affinity. For design, and quick photo tasks, Pixelmator is faster and feels nicer. Pixelmator also has better ML-based tools (and it’s very fun how quickly they work on Apple Silicon.)

2 Likes