Airpods issue - both connected, audio always to the right

A quick question, I have this recurring issue on my Airpods Pro and it only happens on one of my desktop computers, does not happen with iPhone, iPad and work laptop.

Whenever I connect my airpods to the computer, both of them are connected to the computer but audio is only coming through the right one. I have to manually open “Audio & MIDI Setup”, look for the Airpods and raise the volume of the left from 0.00 to 1.00.

This puzzles and annoys me! Has anyone had this issue? I am also running Soundsource, which could be the cause, but it does not happen on the other computer which also runs Soundsource so I cannot exactly pinpoint the root cause.

This has to be some software issue because upon connecting the Airpods Pro to the computer, I can hear the “connection ping” on both airpods, but if I hit the volume key, the output feedback comes only from the right one.

This is exactly how “Audio MIDI setup” reports the Airpods after connecting them:

Just tried this app that seems to fix the problem but it only aggravates it for me: now the app fixes the balance… to what the left airpod is set, which is zero so both are muted :stuck_out_tongue: