AirPods Max - current impressions

I tried my AirPods Max on a zoom call today, were working great until my wife rang me and they switched to my phone, when rejected the call they did not reconnect to the mac so had to scramble to talk on the call again, need to figure out what went wrong

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I think Iā€™m going to wait for V2ā€¦

1 Like

This is likely on the Mac side. Iā€™ve noticed that the Mac doesnā€™t handle reconnect handshakes from bluetooth devices as good as iOS devices do.

This is my impression as well. AirBuddy can help with this. That said, on a few occasions, Iā€™ve had to reboot my AirPods Max to get them to repair with macOS.

Thanks for the advice, I am using AirBuddy. Might try it again, but for an internal meeting rather than a client facing meeting.

I picked up a pair about 6 months ago when the first $100 price drop wars started with Best Buy and Amazon. I also have AirPod Pros, which are my go to for calls, as I mostly just use one at a time and when the battery gets low I swap. For music listening I have portable wired DAC and headphone amp with really good headphone where I hear things Iā€™ve never heard before because of the detail (particularly with Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless tracks). But, I also bought the AirPod Max, which are the best sounding wireless headphones Iā€™ve run across and have really the best noise cancelling for over ear headphones Iā€™ve used.

I sometimes listen to music on them, but I get far more detail and sound staging than the AirPod Max with Spacial Audio.

But, where I absolutely love them and why I bought them is watching tv and video at night with Apple TV. I donā€™t have a great space to watch music and have my sound system properly setup and have neighbors. Watching a broad range of video from sports (hearing in game conversations in the background is amazing and something I miss from have a well setup surround sound system), movies that are quiet as well as loud with low rumbles, and shows with good ambient sounds. The Max are brilliant for this and sound for visual isnā€™t as precise and demanding as music, these are perfect. I also love that they are wireless so I can get up and walk around any where in my home and have great sound for video.

1 Like

I ended up buying the blue AirPods Max for Adorama for $449 (no longer on sale). I used them for a few hours and realized that over-the-ear headphones are not for me at this time. Really wasnā€™t a weigh issue. I returned them and I may try the new version of AirPods Pro when they are released.

Thanks to all for your responses.

3 Likes