AirPods Pro 2 arrived today!

Haven’t done a ton of use yet, but the initial was very good! Used the large tips, and got a good seal for noise canceling.

I notice the increase in bass response, and the other frequencies are excellent also! I could hear fingers scratching on guitar strings, which either speaks to excellent noise cancellation or excellent speakers, or both.

The nice sound when you charge the was very good also! The internal speaker is a nice upgrade!

8 Likes

Any improvements to battery life?

mine are lost in Hong Kong :frowning:

I haven’t used them enough to know on the battery life. I put the case on the charger though, and like the noise to confirm charging. Also, I noticed outside today on a windy day, much better on the noise cancelation.

Will keep watch on the battery.

I’m going to upgrade. The current pros I have can’t last through a 4.5 hour flight and the Nc isn’t good enough. Can’t wait

I’m eagerly awaiting availability here in South Africa which should, with any luck, be around November. Have had the original Airpods, then Airpods 2 of which the battery in one is now completely dead. This time I will try the Airpods Pro.

Mine should be delivered today. UPS apparently put mine on the slow truck to my city Friday morning. Edit: got ‘em.

Sigh …, given that I’ve now abandoned my Android phone for an iPhone, I guess I’ll have to investigate what it is that makes AirPods worth so much money…

Totally off-the-wall question: does the new case work with first-gen AirPods Pro? A long shot, but I have relatively new Pros and can’t really justify replacing them. But the new case offers enough added functionality I’d be curious to know whether it’s backward-compatible.

You may also want to take a look at Beats. Also made by Apple, integrated into the Apple ecosystem and much less expensive.

No, they don’t fit properly. Can’t close the lid

Ok, good to know. Not at all unexpected but oh, well…

My initial thoughts after 48 hours.

The airpods seem to be just a little bit more balanced (actually feel smaller and lighter, but aren’t) they seem to fit better (could also be helped by revised ear bit sizes, medium is awesome for me).

Noise cancellation is noticeably better, especially for engine noise.

Microphones seem to fix the issue with the gen 1 pros where you basically couldn’t use them outdoors in any kind of noise without people complaining. Still more testing to do on this point, but early signs are positive.

Love the volume control gesture, works on both, land has nice little beeps, works well.

Dislike the case charging noises that are on by default, but you can turn off (makes noises when you put an airpod in case and when case is charging)

Overall, they are rather nice, also the extra run time is very handy.

1 Like

@SteveMac Since you had it for a few weeks now, how good is the strong noise cancellation compared to Airpods Pro 1?

@CraigW Maybe you can share your thoughts too?

I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I’ve noticed the noise cancelation (especially on a plane) and sound quality to be noticeably better than the original Pros. These are also reporting a good seal for my deformed ears, something that the originals never did.

@andy4222 so far all good from my side, the noise cancelling is noticeably better for me both on flights (engine noise big difference) and also when out walking or commuting.

Better still, the issues with really sensitive microphones that seem to pick-up every single loud noise on the OG Airpod Pro v1 are (so far for me) totally fixed.

In other news, I managed to (annoyingly) put one of my Airpod Pro v2 buds through a short sports wash on Friday, left it in the sun to dry out for 48 hours and everything seems just fine so far, including the microphone, that in my experience (twice) with v1 the microphone was the first thing to stop working.

So it’s a big thumbs up from me, I’m just now thinking if I will get AppleCare for these, however given my track record of putting them through the wash (mainly after runs and rides, one just seams to end up in my pocket somehow) I probably should.

2 Likes

I picked these up as my first (non-max) air pod’s, replacing the Sony WF-1000XM4’s.

Noise cancellation is better for me than the Sony’s, obviously not at the level of the AP Max, but that is to be expected. The Sony’s do sound better (bigger sound stage, better mid-range and even more bass) but it’s close enough that the trade-off in better form factor, much better touch controls and the eco-system convenience make them keepers.

I’m using the Comply AP foam tips and the isolation is great, silicon tips never work for me.

I just ordered a pair to replace my gen 1 pros. The reason is the ANC improvement and the extended battery life. Now I’ll be able to use them on 5 hour flights!:crossed_fingers:

I haven’t gotten them yet. I’m curious if anybody (like me) experienced the occasional whistling with their gen 1’s, and if so whether that seems to be fixed in the gen 2’s.

I’ve heard the whistling on the 2nd gen a couple times, but it was quieter. Not sure what to think just yet. Overall, they’ve been a great upgrade.