AirTags Use Cases?

I’m going to get 4 AirTags:

1 for my bike - considering getting the Belkin keychain for this and attached below the seat with the keychain and then tape it over with black duck tape.

1 for my every day bag - will get the blue Apple band and hang the AirTag on the outside of the bag.

1 for my keys - will probably get the Belkin keychain for this

1 more left - I can’t find a use case for this last one, so I’m thinking attaching it somehow to my iPad Pro with the magic keyboard which I’m going to buy soon.

My question is just, not having an Magic Keyboard, how do I attach an AirTag to an iPad Pro and which accessory should I get for that?

Also, the right thing to do with AirTags is to keep them visible on one’s stuff right? Because it deters thieves, is that correct? I heard that recently on some podcast

:blush:

1 Like

You can buy silicone pouches with a sticker on from Amazon.
Can’t vouch for how good they are though.

1 Like

I’m sort of surprised Apple didn’t come out with a flat form factor for the AirTags, especially given its design emphasis on thin, flat metal objects.

I can think of a number of use cases where flat would be much better: Macs, iPads, iPhones, wallets, etc.

2 Likes

It was discussed on ATP this week, form over function :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can already track your devices, such as your iPhone or iPad, in the Devices tab of the Find My app, so you really don’t need an AirTag for that.

7 Likes

I agree, I would attach it to AirPods, might sounds more reasonable to me, than iPad that is able to report location on its own.

1 Like

I assume a thief would ditch the AirTag if they knew it was attached.

5 Likes

I was thinking of attaching them on the inside for fear that thieves would steal the AirTag. Does anyone else have a concern with this?

2 Likes

I have been trying to think of use cases as well.

My wife’s car keys. - we find them regularly under the couch or in the toy box (wherever the kids think its good to hide them when we are in a rush to leave the house)

After that….I really can’t think of any other use cases? Maybe putting one in the car glove compartment in case there’s a theft?

I thought about luggage when traveling, but all you need is someone to throw the AirTag in the garbage or away from your bag.

1 Like

So do AirPods, actually. :wink: AirPods also report their location via the FindMy app.

That said, the AirTag has finer locating details, so if you lose it within your house, you can find it.

@JohnAtl this is exactly what I thought as well! But i heard it last week. I think it was on Connected or Upgrade. I can’t remember. But something like a bag it should be on the outside, I don’t get it either. I think perhaps the idea was that a Good Samaritan would find it and scan the AirTag and then contact you

1 Like

Well, the thief can just turn off the iPad and that’s that. If one could do something to attach the AirTag and the thief would’nt notice it at first there might be a chance to get it back, but I get your point

So do AirPods. The AirPods case does not. But each AirPod does report location in find my until they run out of battery

They report location only when they are connected to the iPhone. (i.e. outside the case in range), and I never lose them outside the case.
As someone who really lost his AirPods few times (I was able to find them), but they are really the most difficult devices to locate.

1 Like

Yes, but they literally can’t do anything with that iPad afterwards. They can’t activate an iPad that is still connected to your FindMy. They can sell it for spare parts.

2 Likes

I don’t. Personally I never pay attention to brands—brands per se have never been important to me—so the idea that having an AirTag on my luggage was somehow pretentious never crossed my mind. Of course, I’m not exactly hip. I have to Google most “celebrities” and pop stars. :slight_smile: I suspect that most people are of the same opinion, especially given how many people own an Apple product at this point.

2 Likes

I tend to agree except as noted above, by having it on the outside a Good Samaritan can scan it and let you know they found your bag. My main concern is having the AirTag stolen if on the outside of the bag.

1 Like

And they would know because the tag will let itself be heard and seen.
It’s definitely not an anti-theft device

1 Like

My question is, do we have reason to be concerned about the AirTags being stolen from our luggage if hanging on the outside?

1 for keys

1 for a bag that I use for work as I travel around the state (and which gets misplaced)

1 for a stand that I often leave behind when I travel around the state (see above).

1 for my briefcase/backpack/luggage depending on what I’m carrying that day.

1 Like