Alfred PowerPack?

Indeed, you are correct. You would need the powerpack for some of the advanced features (snippet/clipboard etc) and all workflow-related stuff.

1 Like

If it is a file on disk indexed by Spotlight, Alfred can find it. Depending on the file type, it may not be returned using Alfred’s default file search settings, which are easy to change.

Alfred can do deep linking and indexing. I use it to search my Pinboard bookmarks via the Spillo all the time. I believe for most things, Alfred is just searching the Spotlight index.

I think you need a workflow to search Spillo? From what I can gather, Alfred will utilize the spotlight index to search for files, but other types of data need custom workflows tied to the application.

Correct. But some applications expose their data to Spotlight already (like Airmail) and do not require a special Alfred workflow.

Hi there, I would like to know how you use Alfred to manage these. For instance, when I search for a file, I will then press the Right arrow key and a menu is listed which I can manipulate the files, for instance Copy To or Move To. However, the list of folders that show after Copy To and Move To are some of the high level folders such as Documents, Desktop and Applications. How can I put some of my favorite folders in this dialog box such that I can move files over there? Thanks in advance.

At this point, Alfred will show you the best guesses for folders you recently or frequently use Alfred to move/copy to. You are seeing Documents, Desktop, etc likely because you haven’t used Alfred for this task enough for it to make better suggestions. The list of folders I see upon entering that screen with Alfred doesn’t include any of those defaults because it knows where I recently or frequently have moved files.
If those guesses offered by Alfred aren’t want you want, you can begin typing right here and Alfred immediately begins searching for matching directories

I should also note that while some of my Alfred file management is initiated as you describe: by searching for a file in Alfred and actioning it, a lot of my Alfred file management actually is initiated by selecting the file in Finder and using Alfred’s File Selection hotkey (My is currently cmd-crl-\ which may or may not be the default :man_shrugging:). So for

I also make extensive use of Alfred’s File Buffer. From a list of files in Alfred I’ll add several to the Buffer by highlighting the result and pressing opt-:arrow_up:, once i’ve selected the desired files, I’ll action ALL of them with opt-:arrow_right:. For me this is often when I want to open multiple PDFs from the same author or with the same word in the title.

2 Likes

My mind is blown. This tip is awesome. It makes it so much faster and easier to do file management this way, although the hot-key is a bit convoluted (yes, the default is Command-Option-). Thanks!!

I didn’t realize I could type the folder in the dialog box - the text field is not as obvious, so this helps a lot!

There’s so much to learn about Alfred, despite using it daily for 2 years … what a great tool.

2 Likes

Glad these were helpful! Enjoy your new-found Keyboard-driven productivity! :smiley: