Alternate Control Methods

Long story short, I have enabled alternate pointer actions to use a device that doesn’t work with Monterey. This means I raise my eyebrows to click while this device is plugged in and it’s… kind of awesome.

It got me wondering if anyone here uses these accessibility features as a way to power up your workflows?

6 Likes

2 Likes

Cool

What’s the device? How did you get Monterey to know that the eyebrow movement controls the device?

It’s a known issue with a popular foot pedal for transcribing.

Under System Preferences → Accessibility → Pointer Control → Alternate Control Methods, I clicked “Enable alternate pointer actions” then “Options” then removed all the default functions and set “Raise eyebrows” to “Left Click.”

I’ve also been playing with head pointer, where I move the mouse with my head and then smile to park it somewhere (and smile again to be able to use my head to move it).

2 Likes

I’ll bet more than a few of us are dying to see 60 seconds of that interaction captured on your webcam and shared with us on the forum! :slightly_smiling_face: :rofl: :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

“Dad, can I use the computer?”

“Sure, son. Just don’t wink at it.”

7 Likes

Wow, I had so much fun, navigating the mouse with my head!
Though there was a lot of drift for me, I think I would need some more fine tuning, to make it work.

Is there a way to tie the facial expressions to a shortcut or something?

Yeah, I was wondering that myself. Kind of like a keyboard maestro or karabiner for accessibility features.

1 Like