Alternative to Ring Camera

This could be an interesting update

… in about two years, maybe. Any standards will offer basic connectivity, while the major players will continue to expand and etend capabilities beyond the standard.

In the mean time:

which was linked to from this article:

1 Like

Next are the Eero’s …

I’ve got the doorbell and really like it. I’ve opted out of some of the stuff. And use 2FA. Not sure I’d put one of the cameras facing inside my house though. Just a personal preference.

And most of the app privacy issues I’ve seen say Android. I’m guessing they also apply to the iOS app? But not sure about that.

It mentions that it’s the Android app full of third party trackers. Not an issue for people on this site.

We recently had an issue with an intruder in our backyard - nothing stolen and chased him up the street. Got away :frowning:

Following this we installed the Ring flood light / camera - with some reservations. Justification I give myself is its in the yard facing out - not in and we have good password security son. Its a little sensitive so I get alerts every time the dog goes out the yard for his ‘business’ but that’s ok. Being on mains power it does take stills throughout the day too which gives an interesting timelapse of the day

Not only are there Mac users who own Android phones, the article also clearly notes, “Since the EFF investigation focused on Ring’s Android app, it isn’t clear whether the iOS version has similar privacy risks.”