Alternatives to Day One

I just use a shortcut and automation that pulls all my diary entries and all my OF tasks for the day into 1 overview in Drafts at 00:01 am. During the day I add notes and remarks to that Drafts Note, cross off what I’ve done and add action items.

When it is time to log off I pick up all remaining actions, update OF and end the day. The next morning I have a fresh new note, ready for the day.
This gives me an active daily worksheet, and an archive of all my tasks/appointments and thoughts ready for me in Drafts

1 Like

That is pretty awesome! I am in awe of you guys that have created such fantastic automated workflows.

Awesome! Would it be possible to share an outline of the Shortcut?

I would add ingesting weather and location data on various parts of the day and also a filing of the end-of-day Drafts in DayOne to complete the circle

here it is, it’s very simple and easily adapted to anyone’s needs

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/ac7b67bcc0f34f7593c8aeaaafb85396

as is it works for me, would be interesting to see what others do with it

2 Likes

I have been very happy using Obsidian, Daily Notes with the Quick Add extension. I followed the setup described here: Journaling Workflow for Appending to Daily Notes with QuickAdd (VIDEO) – The Sweet Setup

3 Likes

I don’t journal daily but when I do I simply create a new note in Apple Notes. Often just by using voice dictation on my phone, which then syncs to my mac. I don’t see that mentioned here, so…what am I missing by doing this?

you miss nothing as you have captured the things you want. The only downside I see is your journal entries are either filed unstructured amidst different types of notes or need to be manually filed in a folder structure. Attachments are OK. Search will be OK but GUI wise you don’t have things like calendar lookup

Diarly is on Setapp too

Also I like the UI of Note Plan, available through SetApp.

Does anyone have the link to David’s webinar?