Am I looking for an app that doesn't exist?

Yes, changing apps has been a rather expensive (but enjoyable) hobby for many of us in recent years. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Not at all since I already have the hardware; I may just need to make a minor change on how I use it: most work on the MBP and relegate use of the iPad primarily to reading/annotating and text input. I think I’ve been trying to make the “car” (iPad) into a “truck” (Mac). :wink:

3 Likes

I was referring to the time you all invest in changing your workflows rather than working with the workflow you have. My personal version of this is rearranging my office and desk setup once a year. I’ll never get that time back but I like to say it makes me more productive.

My amazing M1 MacBook Air has eliminated any need I have for an iPad. (Although I admit it will be nice when cellular networking finally makes it to the Mac!)

2 Likes

I agree–this has been a bad habit of mine–one I’m trying to break. I’ve made progress. Even with this DTTG hiccup, I’ve decided NOT to change apps–I’ll just work around the problem and stop trying to “maximize”. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For me Notebooks won over KeepIt in that you can store your “vault” anywhere you like (you can even use the same folder as your Obsidian vaults) This capability is included in the Desktop version but it’s a small one-time payment on the mobile app, totally worth it in my opinion.

Both are pretty capable and fine apps.

5 Likes

Yes. Apart from the obvious macOS integrations, it has feature parity on iOS/iPadOS.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Not a popular option on this forum, but I seem to recall you are a Gmail/Google Workspace user?

If so almost anything you store on Google Drive can be located using Search. You would need to use the web interface on Mac to search (or Spotlight to search the files synced to your Mac).

On iOS you can use search via the Drive app or the Google Cloud Search app if you have a Business Standard GW account.

Yes, our school uses the educational workspaces for Google. I actually tested using Google for saving my research and searching it. The problem is that some items saved to Google are noted as incompatible (something along those lines) so it creates its own points of friction. For now, I’m just straying with DT and adjusting my workflow to fit the limitations on iPad. Hardly the end of the world. :rofl: I / we make things too complicated I fear.

2 Likes

Okay, I kinda feel bad adding this to the thread but, well, not really! :smiley:

Shu Omi over at Medium has a great list if task and notes apps for your FOMO. So I’ll just leave this hear and see myself out… :neutral_face:

3 Likes

That seems evil somehow. :joy:

2 Likes

I’m not sure about the accuracy of some of the info. Here is an excerpt from the section on OmniFocus. It is obviously wrong:

But unlike other todo apps, it’s relatively more expensive. It costs about $10 a month, and it’s only available for iOS.

1 Like

My work here is done! :sunglasses:

That is interesting. I didn’t do a deep dive, I just got caught up by all the sparkly apps! :star_struck:

1 Like

I saw that - . I think the article is written from the perspective of mobile devices. He also writes that Things is only on iOS and Goodtask on $15 - of course to use on a Mac it is considerably more.

So when he says only on iOS he is comparing it to Android, not the Mac… at least that is what I understood.

Nick

1 Like

An Omnifocus subscription does cost $9.99 per month according to the developer:

Buy OmniFocus for Mac, iOS, and the Web - The Omni Group

Though you can get it as a one-time purchase for $49.99 or $74.99 (Pro).

I think the incorrect bit that @Bmosbacker was referring to is the only available for iOS, which OmniFocus is not.

1 Like

Worth noting that that the excellent Omnisearch plugin enables PDF indexing/searching in Obsidian.

1 Like

That is correct, I was referring to the iOS only statement.

Even though it‘s not explicitly mentioned in the article, I also…

namely Android and iOS.

I don’t believe the availability of certain to-do apps is a big deciding in platform choice between Android and iOS though, which is why I‘d have preferred an article focusing on one of those two platforms. Unless you‘re covering it from a more „holistic“ perspective - i.e. sharing, integration and syncing with desktop computing platforms and web apps.

1 Like