Another Farewell to Evernote Post

I exported my EN data one notebook at a time and imported the .enex files into EagleFiler.

https://c-command.com/eaglefiler/help/import-enex-file

I still use Evernote and just paid for another yearā€™s subscription. IMHO it is best in class for a cross-platform notes app. Iā€™ve been a user since 2008.

6 Likes

Appreciate the advice and the detail! Since I use Evernote as a repository for notes(text) and documents (PDFs) AND, I tag Judiciously to help with searching, Iā€™ll have to do some tests with each option recommended.

1 Like

Fair point. I actually donā€™t have a problem with Evernote since I only use it as a repository of text and documents. My issue is, as has been said in this thread, it keeps changing and getting slower (I have about 11,000 notes). Since it appears to be losing popularity (at least with MPU community), will it be around in 10 years when Iā€™ll have 20,000 notes? And now the price has gone up substantially. The Web Clipper is a feature Iā€™d hate to lose, but I donā€™t use it enough to justify the cost.

I would be fine using DRAFTS app for my texts but it would not solve my pdf document storage problem. Ideally, Iā€™d need to tag files to search via categories also.

I do appreciate the feedback. I many need to think harder about what I save and how.

This is a legitimate doubt, but as long as the procedure pointed by @timstringer works, you could delay the answer to that question by doing frequent full enex exports from your notebooks as a way of backing everything up.

3 Likes

Ex-Evernote user here. After many, many years, I finally dropped my subscription, exported all of my Evernote content as HTML, and ported it over to Dropbox. Iā€™ve downgraded my Evernote account to a free one, so Iā€™ve got limited access to my old stuff if I really have to locate something in there and canā€™t get to it any other way. I use Drafts for everyday note-taking, and Iā€™m using Notes to store archival PDFs (search engineā€™s decent).

Couldnā€™t justify an Evernote subscription on top of iCloud AND Dropbox anymore. Itā€™s been a good few months since I let my subscription lapse, but I havenā€™t missed it so far.

1 Like

I am fighting the ā€œshiny new thingā€ syndrome by not switching out of Evernote. Works well enough for me, tho I donā€™t put financial/vital data in it, since no more local notebooksā€¦

For those it applies to, Evernote JUST put out an update that speeds up the app on M1 Macs noticeably. I was pleasantly surprised to tell a real difference!

5 Likes

I actually toyed with the idea of coming back, but I see theyā€™re $90 a year now. Thatā€™s more money than my Office 365 sub that my entire family uses. I donā€™t know ā€” that seems high. But Iā€™d be lying if I said I wasnā€™t contemplating a return to Evernote for everything.

& @timstringer

Yarle is another option for getting Evernote notes out of Evernote, and into something better. Seems to be actively developed too.

1 Like

I switched to Obsidian a while back. Maybe 6 months or so.

For all the talk about it being super transportable and better than Evernote - I get it and I donā€™t. I understand with Obsidian, your files are stored locally and you own them. I also understand theyā€™re just text files.

But if someoneā€™s Obsidian workflow relies on a bunch of different plugins to display notes properly (Kamban, data view etc), is it still easy to take the data out?

Let me give you guys and girls and example. When I left Evernote I exported everything into Joplin (I think as enex) but I donā€™t recall. Point is, Joplin and things like Yarle are setup to read Evernote files - Even Apple notes. YMMV on how well those imports go, but generally speaking for me, it wasnā€™t awful.

Now if I want to take some stuff out of obsidian (eg to my colleagueā€™s OneNote file) One Note displays markdown symbols everywhere and images in Obsidian notes donā€™t come over when I copy a note.

So to me, yeah, Obsidian is plain text and right there on your PC, but the power comes from tying them all together and the plugins which - if you ever want to use something more pedestrian at some point - the app will have difficulty reading it.

Finally, Obsidian not storing images within the note itself could potentially spell disaster at some point no? Especially when you delete a note containing multiple images and the attachments stay behind, orphaned in their folder or wherever they may be.

On the surface Obsidian is way more future proof, but there are use cases and scenarios where it could take a heck of a lot of work to cobble things back together, no?

2 Likes

OneNote isnā€™t really designed to read Markdown though, is it? I would think another Markdown editor would be right at home with the format of the text.

Iā€™m wondering what you mean by ā€œdisasterā€. Orphaned images donā€™t feel particularly disastrous to me. :slight_smile:

Yes and no. If you lost Obsidian, youā€™d lose all of your visualizations into the data - but no more so than completely losing any other app.

If, for example, you completely lost Word and had to cobble things back together just from the data, without a dedicated Word parser, youā€™d have as much work or more than youā€™d have with Obsidian. Software that embeds images in files either does what Obsidian does (separate image file), or they do a weird proprietary encoding of the image. Neither option is more accessible than Markdown if the program that created the data goes away.

And the thing about Markdown is that you, the human, can tell whatā€™s what just by reading the file. So you open up a data file, and you see an image link. You know where that image is (or at least where it was when you linked it!) on disk, because itā€™s telling you right there in the markup. And the image is stored in whatever format you initially put it in, meaning itā€™s likely readable as-is. The data is all there, and the format is easy to see.

Yes, youā€™d have to come up with another system for viewing and such. But that would be true as much or more if you were using any other proprietary software.

3 Likes

Appreciate your approach. Lots of great feedback from the community. Clearly, Iā€™ll need to think through my workflow more intentionally if Iā€™m going to parachute out of EN:

• 99% of my notes are created in DRAFTS and then pushed to EN.

• PDFs (business cards, receipts, appliance manuals, birthday cards, presentation slides, flyers Contracts, Invoices) are SHARED or SHORTCUT(ed), TAGGED and saved to EN

• websites (via the web Clipper) are again SHARED, TAGGED and saved to EN

• IF THIS THEN THAT (IFTTT) actions automatically land in EN (seldom used so, no biggie)

Iā€™ve gotten a bit lazy in that I donā€™t think about where these COULD go since Iā€™ve relied on EN for so long. In the end, I really only open EN when I need to find something or during my personal weekly planning (review meeting notes for lost tasks). @pantulis makes a good point: The sky ā€œainā€™tā€ falling today. I could just periodically perform one of the export actions that @timstringer shared and stop focusing on the cost. @DianaF and @cellerā€™s reminder that, new and shiny over tried and true may not be worth the brainpower it will take to rewrite my SHORTCUTS, develop/adjust other workflows/mindset in order to jump and pull the ripcord!

Thanks to your all! Really good points to consider!

Interesting. By comparison:

• 99% of my notes are created in Drafts and stay in Drafts. Evernote was always more archival than anything active for me; with Drafts I actually get things done. I think some of us underestimate how useful Drafts can be as a destination rather than a pass-through app.
  • PDFS etc go to Notes.
  • Iā€™ve stopped clipping websites! For anything worth noting, I tend to share text selections to Drafts and add my own notes there. If I need to reference a site or a whole web page, Iā€™ll bookmark it in Raindrop, which stores archival snapshots. Raindrop is now offering highlighting, but I havenā€™t tried that thus far.
  • IFTTT: I used to use Evernote as an endpoint for automation, but as you said, not much of it was actually necessary/useful. Since IFTTT introduced paid for user accounts Iā€™ve questioned my usageā€” I donā€™t begrudge any developer their subscription fees, but with the way subscriptions add up, I have to be sure that any subscription Iā€™m taking on is adding real value to my set-up, and most of my IFTTT automations were generating things I really didnā€™t needā€¦

Took me years of thinking about it every time my Evernote subscription came up for renewal before I made the jump. Every time I stayed, it was just in case there was something Iā€™d overlooked. Iā€™m entering a phase in which Iā€™m much more interested in paring down, focusing on a smaller number of useful tools that do what I need, and being more intentional about my set-up, rather than keeping anything hanging around ā€œjust becauseā€. Seems to be working for me thus far!

Good luck with your thinkingā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s cool that you got all these apps to work with the same set of files :+1:t3:

Iā€™m with you on this. Iā€™ve been on this journey for ~ a year but things have settled down quite a bit. At present, I have a very streamlined workflow with limited apps. Everything is working great and I alway have the ability to convert files to other formats using the native app to do so or with DEVONthinkā€”my Swiss Army Knife.

This is a screenshot of what preloads and runs on my computer all day. I only occasionally need to launch other apps, for example DT, Word, if someone sends me a Word file, Scrivener when working on my book, etc. I have Bartender, popclip, Dropbox (for Scrivener) and Backblaze running in the menu bar. Otherwise, that pretty much it.

2 Likes

Notionā€™s does not work. They know it does not work. Yet the still offer it on their site as if it does work. Thus ended my attempt to move to notion.

1 Like

Notionā€™s does not work. They know it does not work. Yet the still offer it on their site as if it does work. Thus ended my attempt to move to notion.

I just did a quick test with Notion. Specifically, I imported an Evernote Notebook with 21 notes. All 21 notes were imported, complete with tags. It seemed to do a good job of converting the formatted/HTML text to Markdown. Though, none of the photos/attachments were imported. I assume this is by design (i.e. the import is only intended for text).

I canā€™t speak to how well this works with larger notebooks.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m sorry. I should have specified. It does not work with large notebooks, pdf attachments, or anything complicated. I have the emails from Notion support to affirm my findings.

Thanks for the additional information. Good to know.

Just wonderingā€¦ why Drafts rather than just Notes?