Any limitations with an app?

It would be a great service if, when you are talking about an app, to let us know if there are any OS limitations. I was listening to Ep. 527 and thought Tot would be useful for something I need to do that requires being able to sync between my home and work computers. I installed it on my iMac with Mojave at the office. My 2011 Mac Mini at home is dead-ended at High Sierra and Tot can’t get there. Since the Mini is working fine and I have absolutely no need to upgrade, I’m stopped at High Sierra. Ergo, Tot is not useful to me.

I can’t tell you how many times this has happened, and it’s certainly not just MPU that omits this information. Maybe the techies assume that everybody has upgraded to at least Mojave, but I can assure you this is not the case.

Just a simple caveat at the start of the discussion, and maybe a note in the show notes link.

Thanks.

Tony

1 Like

You can see the OS requirement in the Mac App Store profile before installing.

2 Likes

I’m fully aware of that. However, I’m just suggesting a comment in the discussion as a service so we don’t go chasing an app that is not of any use due to its restrictions.

If something is latest-version-only and it’s fairly soon after release of latest-version, then I can see mentioning it.

After that I think it’s the responsibility of the person who has chosen not to upgrade their OS to look for the info that is readily available.

2 Likes

Sorry, I assumed you weren’t because you had installed it on one of your computers with the intention of syncing to the High Sierra machine.

I agree with tjluoma and, personally, would rather not have to hear disclaimers in the show for something easily checked by the listeners who are used to running into system requirements issues.

3 Likes

As a caveat, this (app. procedure, etc.) will only work on OS 10.14 and higher.

How inconsiderate of me to ask a podcaster to spend 5 seconds or so to save many listeners the time it takes to go online to find this out or for the listeners who have upgraded all their Macs to have to listen to all these extra words.

Believe it or not, there are quite a few of us out here that have Macs that are dead-ended at High Sierra and see no need to upgrade to a newer machine (or can’t afford it for one reason or another). Oh, and by the way, I did not choose to not upgrade. Apple made that choice for me. I chose not to spend several hundred dollars to have a Mac that runs an OS that gives me little gain.

I assume you are directing your request to @ismh and @MacSparky, since the rest of us on this forum are listeners and users with no responsibility for the content of the MPU podcast.

1 Like

This is a forum for general discussion around the podcast topics, software hardware by listeners.

Kindly remember this isn’t a customer support forum.

1 Like

Yes, I know. I’m one of them. I have the same Mac mini. And before that I’ve been maintaining my 2007 iMac that cannot be upgraded past El Capitan.

And I’ve long come to understand that I might not be able to run the newest software that I hear about.

I apologize for missing the line about your Mac mini being “dead-ended”. That’s what I get for reading the forum too late at night on my iPhone.

I think an email suggestion to Stephen and David is your best course of action: feedback@macpowerusers.com

And if they remember to mention it from time to time, I’d consider it a bonus, but generally speaking the onus is on you (and me).

1 Like

OS version requirements added to show notes for software will themselves become obsolete, and still require that the person check the App Store requirements after clicking the link.

In my opinion, repeating os requirements for every app mentioned (and presumably every ad read) would become very tedious. It’s a simple matter for those who make the choice to download the software to check the requirements. This check goes both ways, sometimes software hasn’t been updated and isn’t compatible with newer versions of the os.

3 Likes