Any Mac Users using Crash Plan ? - or have advice on offline backup?

@JohnAtl, Yes, Thanks for the clarification. Either way, there seem to be a lot of issues with Arq 6 at this point. I am really hoping for them to get straightened out quickly. As I said, I have been a big fan of Arq back to version 2, and the developer is really responsible to his users, so I hope this is just a small bump in the road for him.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by “offline”. Do you mean a backup system that doesn’t require a network connection? i.e. locally attached backup device and software?

For local backups, Time Machine will backup to directly attached drive, no network required.

Others have chimed in with the “online” backup systems, so I’ll add mine.

Onsite backups

• Macs - Time Machine to Time Machine server running on my Synology NAS.
  • Linux Systems - I use duplicity utility to backup to Synology NAS
  • Windows Systems - I use Macrium Reflect to backup to a local backup drive.
  • Synology - None.

Offsite backup:

• Macs - Backblaze
  • Linux - None
  • Windows - None
  • Synology - Effectively none. Backblaze is treating my mounted Synology shares as local drives and backing them up. But, I have many TB of data and it will take Backblaze years to back it all up.
    Some critical data on the Synology is backed up my Hyperbackup app to Google drive. Backup storage is limited, so I cannot backup much there.
1 Like

I’m using Arq v5 to make offsite backups to the 1 TB that I get with Microsoft 365 Family (formerly known as Office 365 Home). I already pay for that service anyway, so the storage is “for free”…

Please be careful with Arq v6. I bought a lifetime license, but downgraded to v5, because of all the issues I (and many other users) encountered.

1 Like

I have been an IDrive customer, but did not renew the service because of the incompetence of their support department.

Hope you have a better experience (if needed).

2 Likes

ARQ comes in two flavors now. The first is just ARQ, which is backup software. With ARQ you can backup your system to Backblaze (ie B2), Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. So if you have lots of cloud storage space available you could just get ARQ and backup to your cloud service. Setting up ARQ is very simple, the new version walks you through setting up your backup. ARQ premium gives you a total solution, the software and cloud storage(1TB) for $6.99 a month.

I use ARQ and B2. I only have 500gb or so and the price is less than 2 dollars (give or take) a month.

Backblaze also offers a total solution that is great if you have lots of data to backup. It allows you to backup one computer for $6 a month and has no limit on space. So depending on your needs this can be a very cost effective solution.

1 Like