Anyone using notion.so?

I like the idea of Notion as a general concept, but I can’t trust it with my files, some of which are highly confidential.

I follow the same project structure in all my apps including tags, so I have no trouble finding something. I also time stamp all completed tasks or important notes and I saw some people even having basically a daily journal in Dynalist and thus they could find what they were doing any given day of the year :slight_smile: Dynalist has also a great search. So long you remember the key word or tag, you will find anything fast.

Well, it’s official. I’ve decided not to use Dynalist. One of the features that really drew me to Dana list was the focused node‘s and breadcrumb trail associated with it. This allowed Dana list to create a kind of wiki like platform. However, I have problems with Internet connectivity and web wrappers. I have decided I will be going with OmniOutliner, mostly because I just discovered that Omni outliner supports its own JavaScript which can replicate the focus and wiki like format that I need. Dino list, however, is definitely the most powerful of its kind.

Shame. I mainly use the Mac app and had no significant issues. You can try the forum since the developers are very responsive. Here is a post from one of them so you have an idea, who you are dealing with :slight_smile: https://talk.dynalist.io/t/transno-just-inspired-by-dynalist-or-something-more-than-that/6017/2

OmniOutliner is great, but expensive and limited in the sence that you can’t “bent” it to your preference like you can with Dynalist.

Literally, Dynalist checked all the boxes, except:

• I am partial to local file storage

• I am iPad OS first, macOS second. The iOS app is good, but not as good as the web/Mac version.

• I don’t need cross platform support

And there was so much to love about it. I even did a trial run in my classes yesterday. I particularly love the focus feature. But with a little bit of work, I can make OmniOutliner do everything that I need Dynalist to do. And I already own it, so I might as well get my money’s worth. In addition, over the last year or so the Omni group has implemented an automation Consol into all their apps. In effect, I can replicate many of the features in Dynalist.

I am going to definitely keep my eye out on its development. I am definitely going to present it as a part of my “thought “software suggestions for my students.

Frankly, if notion.SO could clean up their off-line support, local file storage, and iOS app, I would be inclined towards that direction as a significant competitor to Dynalist – particularly because of notions database features.

1 Like

I have a couple of questions about using Notion if anyone can help…

1. Is there a way of automating the ‘download’ of files from Notion, in particular I am thinking of text files that I create on a Windows PC (at work) that I want to have in an iCloud Folder for accessing via MacOS/iOS

2. How secure is Notion? Compared to say iCloud.

Many thanks.

Chris

I think this page and its attachments might answer your questions directly or indirectly, @chrisa – see the “Security Practices”, “GDPR”, and “Data Portability” sections.

Notion uses AWS cloud services. Secure as iCloud? Potentially. A good place to store your valuable personal data? It’s a service you don’t control – think hard before trusting it.

Katie

2 Likes